Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 mpg - nowhere near estimate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 mpg - nowhere near estimate?

Hello everyone,

I picked up my S3 on Dec 5th, and have put about 1500 miles on it (!), but my gas mileage for both city and highway are terrible. In the city, I get anywhere from 10-15mpg, depending on how I drive, and cap at 27 mpg on the highway (comfort/constant speed of 70mph). Before I hit around 1k miles, my highway mpg would cap off at 25 mpg, but that has clearly improved. City is still pretty bad, even in comfort with normal driving.

I am curious to know how much y'all are getting. Also, I have 18" Alzor with Blizzaks for my winter setup, and was wondering if that might play a role. Or anything else that you guys think might be the issue. I didn't really buy the car for it's mpg estimates, but didn't expect it to be this less either. My '09 335i gave me better mileage! :/

Last edited by mbislam; 12-31-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mbislam
Hello everyone,

I picked up my S3 on Dec 5th, and have put about 1500 miles on it (!), but my gas mileage for both city and highway are terrible. In the city, I get anywhere from 10-15mpg, depending on how I drive, and cap at 27 mpg on the highway (comfort/constant speed of 70mph). Before I hit around 1k miles, my highway mpg would cap off at 25 mpg, but that has clearly improved. City is still pretty bad, even in comfort with normal driving.

I am curious to know how much y'all are getting. Also, I have 18" Alzor with Blizzaks for my winter setup, and was wondering if that might play a role. Or anything else that you guys think might be the issue. I didn't really buy the mpg estimates, but didn't expect it to be this less either. My '09 335i gave me better mileage! :/
I have about 750 miles on my s3. With my 19" summer tires and car in "auto" mode, I've been getting consistently ~26 mixed local and highway. I don't drive aggressively since I'm still in the break-in period. But I don't drive like a Prius either!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't even get me started on this...

You're getting better numbers than me and I'm at 5000 miles now. Ugh.

At least gas is super cheap right now, takes the sting out.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I bought an A3 TDI, rather than a gasoline engined model.

On the freeway I get between 45-52 MPG; in town, I'm averaging around 30-35 MPG.

In Los Angeles I actually found one gas station that charges $2.79 for diesel, about what regular gas costs near me in the suburbs. Generally, even now, diesel here is about 40˘ more per gallon, which still gives me a cost advantage over the gasoline models.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get around 21 in city and 25.3 on highway on the Individual setting that i have set and I drive like a maniac. The car has around 1700 miles on it right now.. I don't expect it to get better!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some info you may find interesting. http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/documents/420f14015.pdf

- EPA MPG testing is done on an indoor dynamometer.
- EPA MPG testing uses pure gas - no ethanol.
- (b) Highway fuel economy testing procedures. (1) The Highway Fuel Economy Dynamometer Procedure (HFET) consists of a preconditioning highway driving sequence and a measured highway driving sequence.
(2) The HFET is designated to simulate non-metropolitan driving with an average speed of 48.6 mph and a maximum speed of 60 mph. The cycle is 10.2 miles long with 0.2 stop per mile and consists of warmed-up vehicle operation on a chassis dynamometer
through a specified driving cycle.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yohan00
I have about 750 miles on my s3. With my 19" summer tires and car in "auto" mode, I've been getting consistently ~26 mixed local and highway. I don't drive aggressively since I'm still in the break-in period. But I don't drive like a Prius either!
I'd be happy with even ~23 mpg mixed local and highway. I do drive much more in the city, and not much on the highways. I'd say you're good with yours, man.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP I was going to say that perhaps your car has too many horses unlike my A3. But its true tires play a role too. I don't know how well Blizzaks are but Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires which are touted as being fuel saving as well as master of the winter roads.

Can't wait till when my R2s come in this January.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Don't even get me started on this...

You're getting better numbers than me and I'm at 5000 miles now. Ugh.

At least gas is super cheap right now, takes the sting out.
Hahah, man, i'm sorry, but hearing that someone is getting the same or worse mpg than me is comforting in a weird way :P

I agree it is more bearable due to the low gas prices, but we all know that's temporary. Also, I have seen some people get the estimated mpg, and that's what makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my car, or if i'm doing something differently. Your thoughts?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a previous thread on this as well… I've been tracking MPGs since the car had 100 miles on it:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...eport-2872124/

Quick Reply: S3 mpg - nowhere near estimate?