Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 owners: which other cars did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 owners: which other cars did you consider?

I've been testing an Audi S3 for the past week, to review it. In my reviews I always have a comparison car.

The problem with the S3--other premium makes offer no direct competitor. The M235i has two doors, while the CLA45 AMG is equivalent to the upcoming RS 3.

People who've bought an S3: what other cars did you consider?

From reading threads here the most common answer seems to be Golf R, and I've previously tested the Golf R, but I'd prefer to not compare two cars that share powertrains and platforms.

I've attached some eye candy, from my testing this past weekend
Attached Thumbnails S3 owners: which other cars did you consider?-s3-135-front-angle-high.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered any of the BMW 3 series line? Or how about a Cadillac ATS? Understand it has a great chassis. Lexus has several F series IS models out now I believe. For me, the S3 was the ONLY car I considered. I ordered mine before there were any available in the US. I went off reviews of US writers testing Euro models abroad. Loved the car from the moment I saw the first pictures. Knew it might not be a perfect car but what car is ever a perfect car? There will always be some things nicer on that brand/model but the S3 as a package is genius, IMHO. I got the first one in central Ohio and still enjoy it ever day. The only thing that is guaranteed to put a smile on my face every time. Fortunately for consumers, there are lots of great choices available these days. Competition has its advantages. Good luck with your selection!
Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I've been testing an Audi S3 for the past week, to review it. In my reviews I always have a comparison car.

The problem with the S3--other premium makes offer no direct competitor. The M235i has two doors, while the CLA45 AMG is equivalent to the upcoming RS 3.

People who've bought an S3: what other cars did you consider?

From reading threads here the most common answer seems to be Golf R, and I've previously tested the Golf R, but I'd prefer to not compare two cars that share powertrains and platforms.

I've attached some eye candy, from my testing this past weekend
I traded an E90 M3 for the S3, and considered the following:

Golf R
STi
M235i

I quickly nixed the Golf as the only dealer I contacted said that it would be 3-4 months before I could get one and they wanted 4k over sticker. The M235 I liked, but not nearly as much as the M3 I traded or even my E46 M3. Also, I wanted 4 doors. The STi was only on the list because I could get one 10k cheaper than an S3. However I owned a 2004 STi, and it was great but they have not changed a whole lot about the STi since then. Also the styling was a little more "boy racer" than I wanted even with the optional lip spoiler.

About to kick over 10k miles. I love the S3
Old 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

S4 and 335, S4 wasn't as fun and felt heavier, and the 335 interior just didn't do it for me in addition to feeling just kind of meh.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

When the wife's '08 A4 hit 20k last spring she saw an S3 and said "I want one." As is her $ she got it and loves it. I like it too but don't get to drive it much. Have to settle for my RS5.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mhblaw, my condolences for being regulated to a RS5. LOL. Although I truly love my S3, some years down the road, I think I'll be looking at a 5 series for my ride. Sure Audi will have refreshed the car by then as they are doing to all others in the lineup. 5 series are simply beautiful but I like the newer tech and extra doors my current S3 offers me now.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I have posted this before, but my '13 RS5 is the best of 10 different Audi's I have owned. Started with a 1980 5000 Turbo, other 200's, A-6's, A5, S5 and now this RS5. Absolutely zero issues and going for the 55k service this week. I had hoped that there would be a 2017 or 2018 RS5 V-8, but it appears the next one, whenever, will be a forced air V-6.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not a long list

My previous daily drivers were a B5 S4 and B7 RS4. Key for me were:
Had to have 4 doors - too many 2 seaters all ready
Had to have rear or all wheel drive - i am not a fan of front drivers
Had to be a driver oriented car - GT not lux

I looked at the Mercedes "A" but it looked to bling and not very practical
I looked at the BMW 3 but it has grown - my ideal size was the B5 S4, hence the current S4 was too big

I was a little tired of 12MPG (in the RS4) so skipped the Cadillac V series

I thought about Infiniti but the looks and packaging were uninspiring.

If I was to look today. I would consider the new Alfa - Sadly Audis are getting very common and I have always liked being an outlier. Maybe the Cadillac ATS, which is getting good reviews, but my guess is I would end up with another S3. The one thing that would absolutely trump my list would be an S or RS Avant!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A few, but S3 was our perfect solution

Michael, Don't know if my comments will help or just further confuse things.
With the S3 representing the most money I've ever spent on a car, some interesting options (both new and pre-owned) presented themselves. We considered S4, S5, TT-S, RS-6(!), and Carrera 4S.
Living in the Northwest, AWD was a must-have, but here's a brief "Why Not" for each of our options:
S4: Too big. Too similar in size to our outgoing C5 A6. Also prefer turbos to Roots.
RS-6: If you resign yourself to the B8's size, what's wrong with adding 120 horses to the equation? But like the S4, too big. It's also old tech, has **** for fuel economy, and there's the inevitable service issues.
S5: Again, if the S4's an option, might as well take a look at the sexier S5. Lack of rear doors and rear seat room was a buzz-killer for this one-car household though.
TT-S and Carrera 4S: The size and performance equation were spot-on here, but like the S5, lack of a usable back seat has its drawbacks for a one-car household.
We didn't consider the CLA AMG due to the cost, perception that it wasn't as sporting as the S3, and total indifference by the local MB dealership staff when I did stop-in to look at it.
Would I buy another/buy it again? I don't know. I love the dynamics of the car, but am put-off by Audi's decision to not fit basic luxury car features like auto-dimming mirrors and driver position memory settings (or even offer them as options). Yet at the same time, Audi saw that necessities like fake engine noise in the cabin and a "Hey, look at me" dual-path exhaust were made standard. Understand that other companies do the same thing, but that doesn't make it any more palatable.
Regards,
Old 05-29-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ALPHA 4C

Quick Reply: S3 owners: which other cars did you consider?