Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Standard 18-in vs 19-in with magnetic dampeners

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 Standard 18-in vs 19-in with magnetic dampeners

On Saturday I thought my dealer would be able to locate a S3 prestige with the 19-in performance pack in silver but after his call this morning it may be a combination I need to order.

The closest one is 8+ hrs drive (one way) from us.

So, this brings me to the question....

For those who have experienced it, does the 19-in perf pack when in comfort mode drive harsh?
In this I mean, while in comfort does the 19-in perf pack ride as well as the std 18-in S3 ? Both ride and road noise.

This would be my wife's daily driver and she wants a "nice" ride. I'll only be driving it when I won't take my car out (rain or snow). Wife says I'm a baby...

I don't want to get the 19-in and have her turned off by the car. She did drive on on 18's and liked it.

My car is on 19's and can be pretty harsh but I knew that going in and like that in a car. Then again I'm not in it 10 hrs a week like she is with her car.
She agrees, mine is too harsh for her taste in rides.

So, has anyone experienced both?

Any feedback would be appreciated as my dealer did find the color and prestige package is currently available. Otherwise it's a 3 month wait that plus the perf pack.

Thanks !!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the 19" wheels with the Continental summer tires and magnet suspension. I have zero road noise from the tires, and the ride is not bad at all. I previously owned a 2013 S6, and even with the adjustable air suspension on the S6, I found the ride pretty harsh. The tires (which I think are the same model tires as are on the S3), were pretty noisy on the S6.

For the last 6 weeks or so, I used 18" snow tires. The ride was noticeably more comfortable with the 18 snow tires. But, I'm quickly used to the 19" summer tires again.

Bottom line is that for me, the 19" summer tires are very acceptable with the magnetic suspension.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the feedback.
I know the 18s will ride smoother then 19s on the same car. It's just that I have no way for her to experience it to see what she thinks and like you was planning to go with 18-in winters when the time comes.
I do know that my car would not suit her as a daily driver.

On a side note, what winter tires did you use.

Also, great write up in your thread about tracking the car !

Thank you again.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 19 inch package with magnetic suspension as well and also (still) running 18 inch winter wheels and tires. Just not warm enough to mount the summers yet. There is a bit of a tire profile difference between the 18 and 19 inch summer packages on the car but not all that great. In comfort mode, the ride with the 19s is not bad. But I came from a modified '06 Civic Si that was more track than street. 19 inchers in comfort mode would be perfectly fine for her tastes I think. And honestly, I bet if you didn't tell her, she might not even realize. Personally the only drawback, at least here in central Ohio, are the damn potholes. I'm pretty good at dodging them but they can be really jarring in any drive mode and very hard on the wheels. Car just looks great with OEM 19 inchers too. Good luck on your decision. Hope you didn't feel like you had to shower for a MB owner to come into Audi land. LOL.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.
I was also worried about the potholes. Being in west central PA they can get pretty bad.

Worst case I guess I could get a set of 18s if she really does not like the ride on 19s.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

19 Inch summer tires definitely make noise on freeway. The car is pretty quite per se. Good sound insulation is used. The biggest and the most noticeable noise is from tires and mostly freeway driving, especially if it is rough freeway surfice.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on what vehicle that she's used to. Prior cars. I can pretty much bet that the S3 with magnetic ride on the softest setting is rougher than what she is driving now. And S3's really aren't wife cars. She will not like it. Too loud, too rough, too abrupt with acceleration. Unless she's used to driving BMW "M" cars I cannot see her enjoying the S3 at all. I always get a chuckle from guys thinking that the S3 would be a good car for the average house-wife. Not even close. If she isn't a car enthusiast, she is not going to like it.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And oh yeah... The S3's ride quality firmness is much closer to your C63, than say a Honda Accord.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Depends on what vehicle that she's used to. Prior cars. I can pretty much bet that the S3 with magnetic ride on the softest setting is rougher than what she is driving now. And S3's really aren't wife cars. She will not like it. Too loud, too rough, too abrupt with acceleration. Unless she's used to driving BMW "M" cars I cannot see her enjoying the S3 at all. I always get a chuckle from guys thinking that the S3 would be a good car for the average house-wife. Not even close. If she isn't a car enthusiast, she is not going to like it.
I love my S3 with 19 Performance Pkg. I drive with the magride on dynamic all the time. The vehicle oscillates too much in comfort mode on less than perfect roads. If comfort mode magride = S3 w/o magride, I would definitely go for magride.

I agree with Spoonie's concern. Did your wife test drive the S3 with std suspension? If you said she did, I missed it. She definitely should test drive. There is the standard A3 suspension, the A3/S3 lowered sport suspension, and the S3 magride.

Best of luck.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife did test drive the S3 with std suspension. The area driven was a good example of less than average condition two and four lane PA roadway. Some areas were under construction and rougher than normal.

She did like it and the sound it made when accelerating.

She's always had conservative cars, Subaru, Honda, Ford Truck. The Ford Diesel she currently uses to pull horse trailers is the roughest ride I've ever been in.
Now that she has driven her second Subaru to the 200,000 mile mark she wants a sport sedan.

My thoughts are to get the 19-in mag ride and if she does not like the ride I'd install a set of 18-in wheels and decent all season tires.
I can always undo the 19's but I cannot undo not getting the magride.

Any downfall to this line of thought.

Quick Reply: S3 Standard 18-in vs 19-in with magnetic dampeners