Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Steering twitchyness in Dynamic at high speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 Steering twitchyness in Dynamic at high speeds?

I took an S3 for a test drive last week and found the steering twitchy at high speeds. Today the salesperson and a service rep took the S3 in question out on the road up to 95 mph. They agreed that the steering at that speed was twitchy in Dynamic mode (Magride). They said the twitchyness disappears in Comfort mode and that this is completely normal. The tire pressure is set correctly.

Is this normal in Dynamic mode?? If it is I'm okay with that.

I drove the same car again 2 days ago on city streets and it was fine.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zznalg
I took an S3 for a test drive last week and found the steering twitchy at high speeds. Today the salesperson and a service rep took the S3 in question out on the road up to 95 mph. They agreed that the steering at that speed was twitchy in Dynamic mode (Magride). They said the twitchyness disappears in Comfort mode and that this is completely normal. The tire pressure is set correctly.

Is this normal in Dynamic mode?? If it is I'm okay with that.

I drove the same car again 2 days ago on city streets and it was fine.

Thanks!
I found Dynamic settled down a lot at higher speeds with a bit lower tire pressure - my optional 19" were supposed to be 39/36psi and delivered at 42/42psi. up here though the speed limit maxes out at 120km/h or 75mph, so that's the highest I've tested at.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tjacoby
I found Dynamic settled down a lot at higher speeds with a bit lower tire pressure - my optional 19" were supposed to be 39/36psi and delivered at 42/42psi. up here though the speed limit maxes out at 120km/h or 75mph, so that's the highest I've tested at.
So, is it true that the steering needed some "settling down" in Dynamic at high speeds?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably should not be writing this but I just had an APR tune done on my S3. One of the parameters the tune changes is the speed limiter which WAS 150 mph for my setup. On my way home from getting the tune and letting the car's ECU relearn things, I opened it up on a very nice and lonely stretch of interstate. No one in sight for miles. Digital speedo showed 162. Ran at that speed for several miles. Only 'twitchiness' observed was due to wind buffeting. I made small corrections to the wheel but it felt very solid. I have my car in the individual mode where the suspension, steering and sound are set to dynamic and only the engine/tranny setting is comfort. Just have to pop the shift level to S to get full dynamic for the car. Meaning my steering is in dynamic at all times and I'm quite happy with it even driving around town. Your perception of the steering being twitchy may simply be the difference from previous cars you owned and drove. The steering is very quick reacting and the radius is very small overall. Very quick steering. I can't say anything has settled down in regards to the steering however. Feels pretty much the same as when I got my S3 about 6 months ago. Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had my S3 on the race track up to 130mph. Ran in fully Dynamic/Sport mode. Had zero twitchyness on the track.

Something is wrong with that car. Audi is not going to sell a car which handles fine in comfort mode, and becomes unstable at high speeds in dynamic mode.

Last edited by Fairfax 4.0T; 05-08-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tjacoby
If car the OP drove had such high and improper front/rear pressures, that alone could lead to what is described as twitchyiness, especially at higher speeds,
Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zznalg
So, is it true that the steering needed some "settling down" in Dynamic at high speeds?
yes - before I dropped the tire pressure I'd of qualified the steering in dynamic at speed as a bit jiggly and twitchy. Now the tire pressure's dropped to spec, even at some fairly high speeds, that the car is planted as intended.