Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

SD slot usage

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD slot usage

I was curious as to what some of you use your SD card slots for. As someone who streams all my music through bluetooth on my iPhone, I have no need to store music in the car. I've seen online that people put images on there, but I can't think of a situation when i'll want to nostalgically scroll through pictures whilst in my car.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckman
I was curious as to what some of you use your SD card slots for. As someone who streams all my music through bluetooth on my iPhone, I have no need to store music in the car. I've seen online that people put images on there, but I can't think of a situation when i'll want to nostalgically scroll through pictures whilst in my car.
I think someone who has their music organized on their computer and its is encoded at a high bit rate or lossless (flac), the SD memory cards would be useful.

For me, I enjoy listen to Slacker music stream that is downloaded to my smartphone and enjoyed in my S3.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I think someone who has their music organized on their computer and its is encoded at a high bit rate or lossless (flac), the SD memory cards would be useful.

For me, I enjoy listen to Slacker music stream that is downloaded to my smartphone and enjoyed in my S3.
I'm fortunate to have a rare unlimited data plan from ATT so I stream through RDIO (kinda like spotify) at its' highest bit rate.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with unique uses outside of music storage
Old 05-13-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckman
I'm fortunate to have a rare unlimited data plan from ATT so I stream through RDIO (kinda like spotify) at its' highest bit rate.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with unique uses outside of music storage
I've got that unlimited grandfathered plan as well, but too many data dropouts for my liking. Rather have the music downloaded while I sleep and refreshed, and enjoy without music pauses.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 100+ music videos on a SD for one of my SD slots for Music Video watching when at a stop, the other SD card slot I use mp3s (need to re-encode these mp3s to 48K sample rate).

I raise this thread question with one of my own. Don't we also have a 10GB internal hard disk? I haven't ventured to using that yet.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the A6 manual, it's 10 gig internal storage. I dropped a couple of songs on it. Seems like if you wanted to take a trip through the tunnels of the world, you could have enough music to last a lifetime.

I've got the 6 disc changer (why..I don't know)
DVD drive
2 SD slots
iPod cable hooked up to 8 gig 5th gen
plus the 10 gig car storage.

I need time to load this thing..
Old 05-14-2015, 01:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

SD1 for my music and SD2 for wife's
Old 05-14-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use it to upload a few gigs to the HDD. It's nice when I don't want to have to hassle with Bluetooth, and it sounds better too. I upload a few songs every month or so.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a 32 GB SD card loaded with gobs of favorite high bit rate mp3 files. I sometimes listen to satellite radio but the channels I prefer seem to be playing redundant music anymore. The sound quality using the mp3 files from the SD card is superior to the sat radio by far (B & O option in my S3). I could steam music via my Samsung phone but I never really got into that. I can raise my hand and say that I use the SD card option 85% of the time.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like that it plays FLAC files as well as MP3