Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Siri iPhone Workaround for A3/S3 MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Siri iPhone Workaround for A3/S3 MMI

This isn't earth-shattering or anything, but… it's more convenient than turning off bluetooth every time you want to use Siri.

- AMI Lightning Cable is needed
- Hold the home button down to activate Siri
- Press the very small Bluetooth icon at the very bottom of the iPhone Screen (to the bottom right to be exact) and then select 'Dock Connector'

Once you've done this it lets you do calls (only) over the MMI Bluetooth Mic AND lets the iPhone mic work for Siri/Texting, etc. So the MMI/Car Microphone still doesn't work, but the Phone mic is sensitive enough to receive Siri commands.

Meh, I know, but it's something.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this workaround! I agree, it's "meh" but it is something. I'm hoping a future software update in the car will make Siri accessible through the car's microphone. Here's to wishing, right?
Old 02-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superkoosh
Thank you for this workaround! I agree, it's "meh" but it is something. I'm hoping a future software update in the car will make Siri accessible through the car's microphone. Here's to wishing, right?
Just heard back from AoA with what I consider to be an unacceptable answer.

Thank you for your patience during my review of your question regarding the use of Siri in your 2015 Audi A3. My research has confirmed that Siri is not supported in the 2015 Audi A3 or S3. Audi made this change in view of safety considerations, because of the driver distraction that it creates.

I’m sorry for your disappointment.

Please feel free to send a reply to this message if you have any additional questions or if ever I may assist you. You may also call me through the Audi Customer Experience Center at +1 877 615 2834. Should you call at a time when I’m not available, one of my colleagues will be happy to assist you. We are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You may receive an e-mail survey within the next few days for my supervisor’s evaluation of my assistance to you. Please know the survey is for my supervisor’s eyes only, and is without regard to your vehicle concern. We would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to share your comments rating my interaction with you.
Note: The $15,000 Chevy Cruze supports "regular" Siri (all I'm seeking) -- as well as Siri "eyes free" -- but a fully loaded A3 ($40,000) or S3 ($50,000) does not?

Last edited by code7700; 02-19-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-06-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And when I said that Audi was a paranoid company that feared litigation in the united states I was told that "that wasn't the case". Audi is still smarting over the Unintended Acceleration fiasco of the 1980's. There is no legal reason why they cannot include "Siri". Audi decided on their own to make "this change in view of safety considerations, because of the driver distraction that it creates". No legal reason. Just paranoia.

It hurts Audi because they will never be the first to bring a new feature to the U.S. They are just too paranoid.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
No legal reason. Just paranoia.
I would argue Audi's inability to support Siri for legal or safety reasons is a bunch of fluff. Many of their vehicles appear to support Siri properly. Explain that? They're working with Apple on CarPlay (as are most other OEMs).

Furthermore, iOS 8 supports "Hey Siri" which is a 100% hands free solution that enables Siri when you say, "Hey Siri" -- you just need to enable this feature in the iOS settings.

The "Hey Siri" feature requires no changes to the car's software and works on any vehicle that supports "generic" Bluetooth (pretty much every car except the A3 and S3).

And not to use Audi's own words against them, their decision to not support Siri (on the A3 and S3) reduces the safety level and increases driver distraction.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by code7700
I would argue Audi's inability to support Siri for legal or safety reasons is a bunch of fluff. Many of their vehicles appear to support Siri properly. Explain that? They're working with Apple on CarPlay (as are most other OEMs).

Furthermore, iOS 8 supports "Hey Siri" which is a 100% hands free solution that enables Siri when you say, "Hey Siri" -- you just need to enable this feature in the iOS settings.

The "Hey Siri" feature requires no changes to the car's software and works on any vehicle that supports "generic" Bluetooth (pretty much every car except the A3 and S3).

And not to use Audi's own words against them, their decision to not support Siri (on the A3 and S3) reduces the safety level and increases driver distraction.
Yep! That's how they are justifying it, I am still hoping that it's a hold out for car play.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by code7700
That's a question for Audi Maybe they reconsidered and didn't want a system that was unique? But I'm still not sure why they would say its for safety reasons? That's the question. I guess saying its for safety reasons is better than saying "We fear litigation". But why bring up safety? Yep they fear litigation imo.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I would argue not including the hands-free feature available to what, roughly 50% of smartphone owners, is a liability. Shameful, Audi, for a car being touted as having mind-blowing tech when in reality it's worse than a $200 phone (free with contract!).
Old 02-06-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to use voice to text for waze or more.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone (re)confirm that Siri works with the A3/S3 models that lack navigation? If so that blasts a big hole in their story. And it means poor design vs. a safety feature. I know someone here suggested that Siri works with non-navigation models... but I don't recall it being a firm statement backed up with video and/or pictures.

Quick Reply: Siri iPhone Workaround for A3/S3 MMI