Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Siri iPhone Workaround for A3/S3 MMI

Old 07-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Siri iPhone Workaround for A3/S3 MMI

Thanks Wicked. Hopefully it'll be the same for 2015 models and 2016 models. You'd think that would be the case -- but we are talking about car OEMs here.

I am glad to see you got better answers than I did (which -- if you recall -- was Audi telling me Siri didn't work by design -- for "safety" reasons).
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Siri work around

I tested one of these from a dealer in the states and it solves the siri problem but they are so short I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Anyone sees longer options?

Originally Posted by arU4ic
This isn't earth-shattering or anything, but… it's more convenient than turning off bluetooth every time you want to use Siri.

- AMI Lightning Cable is needed
- Hold the home button down to activate Siri
- Press the very small Bluetooth icon at the very bottom of the iPhone Screen (to the bottom right to be exact) and then select 'Dock Connector'

Once you've done this it lets you do calls (only) over the MMI Bluetooth Mic AND lets the iPhone mic work for Siri/Texting, etc. So the MMI/Car Microphone still doesn't work, but the Phone mic is sensitive enough to receive Siri commands.

Meh, I know, but it's something.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello!

I have the same problem with siri and my 2015 audi a3. When they said "for safety reasons", i think they meant for keeping safety the money they win with their car audio option, cause my car has the audi hands free option and it distracts you a lot more than siri does. With this option you only can control the iphone calls and select music.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmk
I tested one of these from a dealer in the states and it solves the siri problem but they are so short I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Anyone sees longer options?
There's a better work around for this now, pressing the speak button on the steering wheel immediately after Siri is activated. Annoying, but it's the best work around in a pinch.

Thanks to desmillicious for this one.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...olved-2891293/
Old 01-29-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how about this approach.............

For now, when I want to use siri. My phone is up on the vent near me. I swipe and turn off bluetooth on my phone. Siri will now work fine now lol. Then I can use voice to text for texting and long email replies. If I have to make a call using siri, I make the call, hit speaker phone, and then turn on BT, it's a simple swipe. But I have a bunch of favorites in my MMI, so I don't use that often.
If you have to receive a call, with BT off, just take the call, send it to speaker phone, and then worry about turning on BT.
Of course this is BS. Audi screwed up. And they claim it's not safe to use siri. But we all know that siri works fine in the non-Navi cars, so they are not fooling anyone, they're just being jerks.

Last edited by RyanS3; 01-29-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanS3
how about this approach.............

For now, when I want to use siri. My phone is up on the vent near me. I swipe and turn off bluetooth on my phone. Siri will now work fine now lol. Then I can use voice to text for texting and long email replies. If I have to make a call using siri, I make the call, hit speaker phone, and then turn on BT, it's a simple swipe. But I have a bunch of favorites in my MMI, so I don't use that often.
If you have to receive a call, with BT off, just take the call, send it to speaker phone, and then worry about turning on BT.
Of course this is BS. Audi screwed up. And they claim it's not safe to use siri. But we all know that siri works fine in the non-Navi cars, so they are not fooling anyone, they're just being jerks.
Yep, on longer trips I do it this way... the steering wheel button is for an in-a-pinch situation.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi - newbie here - just picked up a 2016 A3 2.0T...and well lets just say per the OP suggestion, I've sent an email to Audi.

While the MMI's voice recognition is pretty OK, the rigid command structure, slightly slow to respond and terrible sounding voice, are all things other companies with cheaper cars managed to get right/better. I hold hope that they may do a software update, but with the 2017's all coming out with Apple Car Play...it gives them even less incentive to support older vehicles.

Love the car otherwise!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any updates from Audi to allow iPhone users to use Siri?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Voice Activation info

Originally Posted by yalm1579
Hello!

I have the same problem with siri and my 2015 audi a3. When they said "for safety reasons", i think they meant for keeping safety the money they win with their car audio option, cause my car has the audi hands free option and it distracts you a lot more than siri does. With this option you only can control the iphone calls and select music.
Not operational on my 2015 A3 prem plus Cab. Still trying to activate this feature. Working w/dealer how to activate. Answers?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ruanna22
Any updates from Audi to allow iPhone users to use Siri?
Never heard back from Audi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Siri iPhone Workaround for A3/S3 MMI