Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Is there no way to turn off the engine without turning off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there no way to turn off the engine without turning off the car?

I have the premium car with an actual key that I have to turn, however I usually sometimes am on a call and will still be on the call and want to turn off the engine without turning off the car completely.

Is there a way to do this? Basically just get the car to go to just accessory mode?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MMI (radio and phone) will stay active if you turn off the car, it won't turn off until you open the drivers door. It will timeout eventually (maybe 15 minutes), but I don't think it will timeout while on an active call. You might have to test theory.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Try not putting your foot on the brake. Then push the key in.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dutchy2.0t
Try not putting your foot on the brake. Then push the key in.
I think he means if the car is already running such as he is talking on the phone while driving and then arrives at his destination.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hilld
I think he means if the car is already running such as he is talking on the phone while driving and then arrives at his destination.
Ya when the engine is already running currently, I want to just turn the engine off without disturbing the MMI portion.

Currently I turn the key off to turn off the engine and the MMI shuts down and the phone disconnects immediately. Most of the time the person on the other line thinks I have hung up because of delay of switch over.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
Ya when the engine is already running currently, I want to just turn the engine off without disturbing the MMI portion.

Currently I turn the key off to turn off the engine and the MMI shuts down and the phone disconnects immediately. Most of the time the person on the other line thinks I have hung up because of delay of switch over.
That is strange, that is NOT the way it is supposed to work. The radio/MMI should stay active until you turn off the key AND open the drivers door. Maybe something isn't right, might have the dealer take a looksie.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are essentially two positions for the key, Ignition ON (ACC) and start which is just a relay switch (similar to the start/stop button). The key springs to the start position and then goes back to the on position.

Because I don't have a button, there is no way to turn off just the engine (pressing the start/stop button again in premium plus and prestige). I tried turning the key again to the "start engine" position while in park and park with parking brake and nothing as well.

Most cars have ACC, On and Start. Guess I just can't keep it in the ACC mode.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:26 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you have the door open? Try it with the door closed.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya, the doors are closed, the car in park, the parking brake on or off.

Made a video to show:
Old 03-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

What if you turn the key only slightly back?

Quick Reply: Is there no way to turn off the engine without turning off the car?