Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Thinking about Paint Protection? Read this first...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about Paint Protection? Read this first...

When I bought my previous car, a 2012 VW Eos, I wanted to protect the paint so I asked the dealer what sort of options were available. They immediately recommended a dealer-applied product which purports to bond chemically with the paint making it more durable, and they said they could do the job in about an hour while I waited. The short time required made me somewhat skeptical, but they assured me it was well worth the $500. Big mistake.

Either they never applied it, or they just put on a coat of wax, because within the first month I had paint chips on the leading edge of the hood, and marks on the bumper. I complained to Volkswagen of America and over a period of several months they worked with the dealer to get my $500 returned, but that still left me with chipped paint, and a bad taste in my mouth. After that, and other problems with the service department, including an instance where the dealership damaged the driver's seat by tearing the leather cover, I had had enough and sold the car, disgusted with VW and the dealer, Piazza VW of Ardmore, PA. Avoid them at all costs.

I replaced the Eos with my current ride, a 2015 A3 Cabriolet, and this time I did my homework ahead of time. I decided on a protective film, or "clear bra" as it seemed to be the most effective product available, and one that couldn't be "faked" to take advantage of an unsuspecting consumer, because it was tangible and visible to the naked eye.

Thinking it would be best to have this done at the dealership so the car would be protected from the very first mile, I asked my salesman if they had staff trained to apply the film, or worked with an outside vendor. Bear in mind that I had been dealing with this salesman for many months, and of all the sales staff at all the dealerships I visited, I had the most confidence and trust in this one. It was not misplaced.

My salesman, Mike Walsh at Audi of Wynnewood, PA, immediately recommended a top professional in the field, who offered mobile service and therefore could do the work at the dealership prior to my taking delivery. After talking to the vendor, Glen Halfhide at Clear Choice Detailing, and discussing the options for product and coverage, I decided to go with the latest generation of film from 3M, and to have the leading edge of the hood and front fenders done, along with the mirrors and both front and rear bumpers at a total cost of $1150, to be included in the price of the car.

The last point was desirable, because by including it on the bill of sale it would be considered original, dealer-installed equipment for insurance purposes, and could be financed along with the car, eliminating any out-of-pocket expense. I could have save a little money by taking the car directly to Glen, but preferred the dealership installation. Well, the work was done professionally, and Glen was flexible enough to schedule it within 2 days of the car's arrival at the dealership. I was very pleased.

As if that weren't enough, when a problem subsequently developed, Glen was terrific, and stood behind his work. The film on the hood had begun to lift ever so slightly in the two deep creases which run the length of the hood. Previous model years didn't have such deep, sharp creases, so this problem was relatively new for the Audi lineup, with the result that several small air bubbles began to appear deep in the creases. This was only noticeable on close inspection, but was nevertheless an obvious issue.

When I brought it to Glen's attention, he confided that this had happened with another 2015 Audi he had worked on, and that he would be happy to remove the problem section of film and replace it for free. He advised that his recent experience with situations like this taught him that Xpel brand film was a better choice because it was not as stiff as the 3M product, and would conform to the body better in difficult areas like these sharp creases. Even though the Xpel product was slightly more expensive, he said he would not charge me anything for the rework.

Well, I took the car to Glen's shop in Downingtown yesterday, and spent a few hours watching him remove the film from the hood and fenders (for the sake of a perfect match even though there was no problem with the film on the fenders). He worked carefully and methodically, using heat lamps and applying a heat gun in small increments to soften the adhesive and remove the old film. He then removed what little adhesive was left behind, cleaned the hood using a detailer and distilled water, and applied the new Xpel film to the hood and fenders.

It was fascinating watching him do the job, something I had missed when it was done originally, and I was very impressed with his work. I now have two separate warranties, one for the 3M film on the bumpers and mirrors, and another for the Xpel film on the hood and fenders, but that is not an issue for me, and you can't tell the difference by looking at it anyway, especially since the films are on separate body panels. BTW the Xpel film has a longer warranty at 10 years.

I feel the cost was very reasonable, and the results are terrific. I would post a picture, but it's hard to see the film unless you stand at just the right angle where the edge catches the light. If I had done the full hood and fenders instead of just half, you'd be hard pressed to see it at all, but that would have made the job cost considerably more (roughly two grand), which was not in the budget.

If you're buying a new Audi and live in the Philadelphia area, I strongly recommend going to Wynnewood and asking for Mike. He's the best in the business for miles in any direction. If you live in the region and decide to have a clear bra done ask for Glen, and no matter where you live or who does the work, request the Xpel. Based on my experiences, that's your best bet.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glade you got it straightened out!

I had my car done with Xpel Ultimate after much research and it seems to be very good stuff. My film has taken a hit or two put thats what its there for.

My Xpel installer, who for the last 13 years only installs paint protection film for a living, told me that 3Ms newest film top coating is great but there adhesive is not ready for prime time.

Your post is exactly what he said happens with the 3M film.

As far as your paint sealant goes, $500 is cheap for dealer installed so it was most likely a off brand or consumer version. There are some good products out there that can only be installed by authorized people. I am having Opti Coat Pro installed next Friday. Opti Coat Pro can go over the Xpel film too.

Last edited by drober30; 04-17-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For me, I just skipped paint protection all together. Yeah I'll probably get a few dings, but I can always touch them up or repaint the bumper. Given the price of a full hood job 1K+ (I didn't want a visible seam), I just couldn't justify the cost.

Been 6K miles, with 2 vegas roadtrips and no chips yet (knock on wood). When it happens I'll be pissed and wish I had done the film, but I'll get over it quickly enough.

I think I made the right decision for me, but it's pretty rare to see folks decide to go without PPF on these enthusiast forums.

TL : DR - I didn't do film and think it was the right choice for me, but completely understand why some folks find it worth the money. Just want to provide a slightly different perspective that you don't see much on the boards.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad everything worked out for you. IMO Xpel is a way better product then 3M is and, you made the right choice switching over. Like Drober said you could also Opti-coat your car too. I did that with my Xpel and its well worth it. No chips, no swirls just a flawless look.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been really surprised over the last few Audis, the paint is really tough. My 01 A4 wasn't bad, but the Q7s took some serious hits with very little paint damage.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

My B7 A4 had the most problem where the roof starts at the top of the windshield. It's painted and raised up a bit from the glass level, I think stones can skip up the windshield and hit that part dead on. Getting 3M on that portion on the A3 just in case.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I get your point and respect your view, but this sounds like a sales pitch on behalf of Glen.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikele
I get your point and respect your view, but this sounds like a sales pitch on behalf of Glen.
Caught me! LOL. I complain when things aren't done right, so it's only fair I give praise when something impresses me. I felt that Glen had stood behind his work, and that I owed it to him to give his business a little plug. That reminds me, I want to send him a thank-you email and copy my Audi salesman.

I believe these clear films are a great way to minimize damage to the paint from unavoidable things like road debris or minor parking lot scrapes, but then I have only owned the car for 4 months so far. I'll update occasionally regarding my experiences with the two products, but so far I'm very pleased.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wish I could find someone who would give the same kind of review to a window tinting/paint protection operation in the Naples, Florida area!