Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Tire Recommendation

Old 03-20-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will 245/35/19 fit S3 wheels with Black Optics package?

Hi all...I was about to post this same question. I have a 2016 S3 with the Black Optics package and magnetic ride, which comes with 235/35/19 tires. I will be replacing the tires in the next few months and would have gone with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 but keep hearing how good the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are. However, I see they don't come in a 235 size, but do come in a 245/35/19 size. My question is would a 245 series tire fit these wheels with no rubbing issues? I believe the tire will fit the wheel, but wondering about fitment in the wheel well. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The PSS is being superseded by the PILOT SPORT 4S. It's the next generation of the PSS and has increased tread wear among other things. Not a lot of consumer feedback yet as it is brand new, but based on some professional reviews it is a notch above the PSS in every aspect.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the OP was referring to the newer PS 3+ All Season tires, not the PSS summer tires.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard great things about the Firestones from an A6 owner; performance was very good and wear was better than expected (really liked the wet weather traction,) not sure about the Dunlops. What part of VA? If you're down near the beach summer tires are defiantly the way to go. I'm in the valley and the uncertain weather makes all-seasons a better choice here.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 435Studio
I've heard great things about the Firestones from an A6 owner; performance was very good and wear was better than expected (really liked the wet weather traction,) not sure about the Dunlops. What part of VA? If you're down near the beach summer tires are defiantly the way to go. I'm in the valley and the uncertain weather makes all-seasons a better choice here.
Located in Central VA, just east of the mountains. I have a Dodge RAM 4x4 for nasty winter weather and I work from home.

Shan3
Old 05-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick update here...

So, I couldn't find anyone in my town that stocked the tires for my S3. I even checked with the Audi dealership and no dice. Ended up just ordering it them from Tire Rack.

Took them over to a local Goodyear shop to have them installed, thinking they would be a reputable place. On the way there, I thought to myself that I should take some quick photos of the wheels just in case. Well, by the time I got there, I forgot. Sure enough, I get a call that it's ready to be picked up so I head back over there. Inspect the tires to make sure they look good and inspect my wheels and there's about a 1" gouge.

%!$@%#!!!

I went inside and told them there was damage to my wheel and asked to speak to someone about it. The service manager goes outside to the car and I see him, so I go out to meet him. Show him the damage and instantly gets defensive and tells me that there's no way they could have done it. I had just detailed my car 4-5 days prior and I work from home. I would have definitely noticed if there was a chuck of metal missing from my wheel. I had been driven once since on a rainy day and the wheels were dirty. The gouge was fresh, bright, clean metal which means it had just happened. The service manager is a completely butthole and I can tell that he's not going to be helpful, even though I was very calm about the situation.

Luckily, I contacted the district manager for Goodyear and they have agreed to replace my wheel, whew. He said they are supposed to document and show a customer any damage to a wheel before they do work and they didn't. I hate that I have to take my car back to this place to have the wheel replaced. Better bet I will take photos AND stay there and watch them like a hawk this time.

Moral of the story... and it sucks this is the case... but consider documenting your vehicle with photos and/or video when having work done. I try to do this every time I have work done but just happened to forget the one time I have an issue.

Shan3
Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THAT is exactly why I NEVER take my vehicle to an unrelated shop like Goodyear! Sorry to hear about your troubles but it's good they ultimately decided to pay for a new wheel. I had a similar experience many years ago on my Bimmer. Had no way of proving they caused the damage as my wheels/car were not new at the time. Talk about being bummed.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a bunch of *** hats. i usually do a quick walk around with my phone on video record before i leave the car with them. that way you can prove scratches, door dings, etc etc.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shan3
Quick update here...

So, I couldn't find anyone in my town that stocked the tires for my S3. I even checked with the Audi dealership and no dice. Ended up just ordering it them from Tire Rack.

Took them over to a local Goodyear shop to have them installed, thinking they would be a reputable place. On the way there, I thought to myself that I should take some quick photos of the wheels just in case. Well, by the time I got there, I forgot. Sure enough, I get a call that it's ready to be picked up so I head back over there. Inspect the tires to make sure they look good and inspect my wheels and there's about a 1" gouge.

%!$@%#!!!

I went inside and told them there was damage to my wheel and asked to speak to someone about it. The service manager goes outside to the car and I see him, so I go out to meet him. Show him the damage and instantly gets defensive and tells me that there's no way they could have done it. I had just detailed my car 4-5 days prior and I work from home. I would have definitely noticed if there was a chuck of metal missing from my wheel. I had been driven once since on a rainy day and the wheels were dirty. The gouge was fresh, bright, clean metal which means it had just happened. The service manager is a completely butthole and I can tell that he's not going to be helpful, even though I was very calm about the situation.

Luckily, I contacted the district manager for Goodyear and they have agreed to replace my wheel, whew. He said they are supposed to document and show a customer any damage to a wheel before they do work and they didn't. I hate that I have to take my car back to this place to have the wheel replaced. Better bet I will take photos AND stay there and watch them like a hawk this time.

Moral of the story... and it sucks this is the case... but consider documenting your vehicle with photos and/or video when having work done. I try to do this every time I have work done but just happened to forget the one time I have an issue.

Shan3
Sorry for the bad experience!

What tires did you ended up buying? Any comments on them?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All these "reputable" known companies tend to be anything but that.
I'd recommend supporting a local independent place if possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation