Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Trying to figure out how to disable the headlamp washers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trying to figure out how to disable the headlamp washers.

Just finished washing my car, and now my hood and fenders have dried up windshield washer fluid spots all over my black car. My crime? I used the windshield washers with the headlights on. The manual doesn't seem to cover the headlight washers operation, and there isn't anything that seems to control how they come on. At first I thought there was a detent when you moved the stalk toward you, but the detent is now gone. I feel like smashing the headlight washers with a freaking hammer. They are beyond useless, and there doesn't seem to be any way to determine when they come on or not. If there is please help me out? Sometimes with the lights on, you can use the windshield washers and the headlight washers do not come on, sometimes they do come on. There is nothing that lets you know if the headlight washers will come on or not.

On top of that, if you keep using the headlight washers they begin to leak and your vehicle will not be able to hold windshield washer fluid. You will have to put windshield washer fluid in the car every few days (or pay $325-$500 to fix). The last two vehicles that I had with headlight washers (an Audi and a BMW) both started leaking after the warranty ran out. Rant over.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain Spoonie G. I would like to find out how to disable them as well. Have never considered phoning my Audi service department to ask however. May try that approach this week. It's not like you're disabling the airbags or something. Surely someone in service will be cool and advise me on what to do. I have a black S3 as well. Blue wiper fluid spots are not very appealing at all. Agreed.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait, are these even in the US option? I thought these were not included on the US release. I know the fender has the "holes" cut for them but I didn't think the washers were included.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought headlight washers were mandatory in the U.S. on HID [and LED] equipped cars.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From experience with previous models, seems like the easiest way is to unplug the electrical clip of the washer pump for the headlights and unhook the line and T it off/recirculate it back into the other line for the windshield washers.

Likely you'll need to remove the bumper to gain access to the headlight washer hoses.

Jason
Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by STL Okie
Wait, are these even in the US option? I thought these were not included on the US release. I know the fender has the "holes" cut for them but I didn't think the washers were included.
I have no evidence of mine ever coming on - US premium model here.

I would like to know if I have them and how they work.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Should be a fuse for the headlight washers. Find it and pull it out.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Prestige trim model and see no mention of them on my options/included features sheet. Nor have I ever seen them come on. I thought it was an EU only requirement.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The headlight washers only work when your headlights are on. You can manually turn the headlights to the off position, then clean windshield, put back on auto. This is what I do all the time if my car is clean and don't want it drenched in washer fluid.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STL Okie
I have a Prestige trim model and see no mention of them on my options/included features sheet. Nor have I ever seen them come on. I thought it was an EU only requirement.
That doesn't mean that the cars aren't equipped with them. Believe me the cars have them. I've seen them in action.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out how to disable the headlamp washers.