Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Turning on rear defroster causes radio static

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning on rear defroster causes radio static

When I turn on the rear defroster in my A3 Quattro (2015) the radio goes to complete static both AM and FM. But otherwise the radio works great. The dealer claims it is due to the tinted windows blocking the antenna. I bought the car used, so don't know who did the original tints, but a tint shop nearby said they haven't heard of this causing a problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BD A3
When I turn on the rear defroster in my A3 Quattro (2015) the radio goes to complete static both AM and FM. But otherwise the radio works great. The dealer claims it is due to the tinted windows blocking the antenna. I bought the car used, so don't know who did the original tints, but a tint shop nearby said they haven't heard of this causing a problem.

Any suggestions?
Not sure how tint could block the antenna only when the defroster is on, is that what they were trying to say?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yes the dealer said part of the antenna was in the rear window. I read on a different forum that

"the FM boosters are in the trim around the inside of the rear screen as they use the heated rear screen element to get more signal"

If that is the case wouldn't this not have anything to do with the tint and be a wiring issue in the car? (That the dealer is responsible for fixing under warranty?)
Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is not uncommon for the radio to use the rear window defroster as an antenna.
Tint alone has nothing to do with your issue. The signal comes in from the outside so it hits the defroster before it gets to the tint.
The only way your tint could be having any impact - and it would be a stretch, is if it is metallic tint and is creating conductivity across the defroster wires.
Sounds like an easy out for the dealer to me
Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's possible they are right, there are a lot of metallic tints these days.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not an expert, but the film might promote the conduction of static charges from the defroster element to the antenna element.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 😂😂😂🤣😐😑😑😑

I can guarantee it has absolutely nothing to do with your window tint it contains nothing metallic thats absolutely absurd. Just blaming it on anything they could to get outta paying to fix the issue. My 2007 A4 has no tint what-so-ever and I have the same issue it's either linked to the antenna/defroster conflict as suggested, or something to do with wires behind the infotainment system conflicting with each other. . I haven't been able to fix the issue yet, but when I do I'll post the fix.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2007 A6 AM/FM Static with rear defrost

Originally Posted by Kushmin Ayy
I can guarantee it has absolutely nothing to do with your window tint it contains nothing metallic thats absolutely absurd. Just blaming it on anything they could to get outta paying to fix the issue. My 2007 A4 has no tint what-so-ever and I have the same issue it's either linked to the antenna/defroster conflict as suggested, or something to do with wires behind the infotainment system conflicting with each other. . I haven't been able to fix the issue yet, but when I do I'll post the fix.
DID YOU EVER FIND OUT HOW TO FIX IT? I JUST PURCHASED THIS CAR AND FOUND THIS PROBLEM. AUDI DEALER HAD NO CLUE.