Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

UniConnect and Unitronic DSG software quick review & emissions story

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UniConnect and Unitronic DSG software quick review & emissions story

January has been a crazy month!

On January 2nd I realized that my state inspection and emissions had expired in December.
Dropped of my car at a local shop and got a quick call that it wouldn't pass emissions. "not ready" issues with the emissions system, due to the tune and downpipe.
I have the Unitronic Downpipe and Stage 2.
I'm fairy certain that all Stage 2 maps and downpipes for our car will fail emissions in the States.

Before all of this, I already had the Unitronic DSG tune on my mind.
Having close to 400 horsepower is fun. But when I would let my friends test drive my car, they would try the car out in S mode.
S mode would embarrass me. S mode is terrible. D mode is ZZZZzzzzz obviously. M mode is fun, but it could be even faster, I knew this.

I wanted a DSG tune. But I would have to drive two+ hours to get it. And I needed to figure out my emissions issue.
I'm all about clock management.
Luckily, I determined how to kill two birds with one stone.

Audi S3 Sepang Blue
by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

Step 1
I ordered a uniconnect via modded euros!
The next day it was on my porch, thankfully, b/c I was driving without legal stickers.

Step 2
I had to figure out what I was going to do with my laptop situation.
You either need a windows pc. OR windows on a macbook c/o Boot Camp.
Other methods of running Uniconnect on a mac, are not reliable.
You load the Uniconnect software to your laptop. Plug in the cable and register it.

Step 3
Detune my car to Stage 1 or 1+. Because Stage 2 would not pass.
When my car is in my garage, I have a pretty good wifi signal (necessary for the device to talk with Unitronic).
Plug the Uniconnect (looks just like a vag-com cable) into the OBD2 in my S3,
Check for codes. Clear any codes.
Loaded Stage 1+. Takes about 20 minutes.
While it was loading, I cleaned up my garage a bit. It was a very good experience, I was really surprised how easy it was.
I test drove the car, no issues.

The UniConnect device gives you four options:
- performance engine flash
- performance transmission flash
- ecu diagnostic tool, check and clear codes
- tcu diagnostic tool, check and clear codes

Uniconnect Quick Pic
by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

Step 4
I used vag-com to see if my emissions would pass. "not ready" issues.
Using vag-com, I run a few emission tests.
"tank ventilation check" and "test of catalytic converter bank 1"
by running these two tests, all 8 status checks were now "ready".

Step 5
I drove to the service station and got inspection and emission stickers
If I had waited a day or so, the readiness status would likely have changed from "ready" or ok, to fail.

Step 6
I went home and celebrated!
I cracked open a beer. Broke out my Uniconnect cable and laptop again.
Time to go back to Stage 2 and more!
Loaded Stage 2. Did a quick test drive, all good.
Loaded Stage 2 DSG tune. ALLLLL GOOD!

Since then, I have put around 200 miles on the DSG tune.
There was a blizzard here, which was the weekend I was planning on making some videos. But that will have to wait.
I will post some videos asap! And pics.
I plan to take videos and pics of the process when I go from Uni's one of the Stage 2 DSG options to their next option, which is a little more aggressive.

The loading process is quite easy. I imagine that most Audi owners have a little bit of nerd in them, so with that said, I really think anyone could EASILY tune, detune, clear codes, ecu tune, etc. RIGHT FROM YOUR DRIVEWAY OR GARAGE!
It is an amazing perk that Unitronic has created for their customers.

This is my third VAG vehicle. I've had an A3. Golf R, and now the S3.
I have had REVO, APR, and now Unitronic on my cars.
I discovered Unitronic when I had my Golf R. I had APR originally.
What drew me to Unitronic was their hardware. I wasn't happy with the intake I had on the R.
The Uni intake came out very late, but when it did, I took a shot on it. And I loved it.
Soon after, I got their downpipe - again, seemed like the best quality for my R.
I was really impressed with the quality of the parts and performance gains.
Eventually, it lead me to get their software, which to me... felt like a step up b/c of how OEM+ it feels.
Both the Golf R and my S3 tunes feel strong, super smooth, which is what I wanted. Otherwise, I'll get tired of a car, if it feels too jerky, too aftermarket.

The DSG Tune
The first thing I did, was check how S mode would perform under "normal" conditions.
Meaning, I want to drive like a normal person (who has 400hp) would drive.
Since D mode is like driving miss daisy, S mode it is!
S mode, stock, would hold 2nd gear like it was possessed, even if you were only giving it, say, 2/10's pedal action. So messed up.
Now, S mode performs like it should. Whatever pedal action you give it, it detects your instincts and shifts where you expect it to.
When you mash it, it let's the rpm scream to redline, something that is very difficult to do around my house, unless you're on an on-ramp.
When I say I can feel that everything is more in sync, as the car moves through the gears, it's something you really have to feel - not read.
But whether I'm driving around town, or racing onto the expressway at 12am at full throttle, everything just clicks now!!!
I can sense that in S mode, at WOT, the upshifts are now spot-on. It makes a difference on the 1/4 mile, I'd imagine. I will have to wait till spring to hit a drag strip. Or at least until this 26" of snow melts.

Before the dsg tune, when driving with my wife, I would use D mode mostly, M mode sometimes. M mode was all I used, when I was by myself.
Never used S mode b/c it SUCKED!
S mode, not only is it useable now, it's all I use.
I honestly do not use M mode anymore, around town or highway!

I can tell that the shift points have been optimized for the extra torque and hp that my car has, with the ecu tune.
Overall responsiveness and drivability feel OEM+ now, no longer feels like the car has been messed with. Before getting the DSG tune, the transmission felt a little jerky and there was a lag.
So everything feels "button up" or smooth.
I don't feel any lag now. D and S modes are intuitive now.

The DSG tune has a very tangible impact on the S3 driving experience. The chassis great. I have a wider stance, 19x8.5 et43 with 245/35. The car feels so planted. Close to 400 hp is great for a car of this weight. But with the increased torque, the car WANTED a DSG tune to clean it all up. Now that I have it, I realize that it's an absolute must have!
In M mode, it feels like the flappy paddles have a direct line to God. Shifts are quicker. The car feels like a dream now. I can let anyone drive my car in ANY mode, and they rave about the entire package now.

Other tidbits:
The visual of seeing what gear you're in in D/S mode is really nice. S1-S6 for example.
RPM Limiter Increased to 6,800
D mode feels better
S mode feels sooooooo much better, can't imagine it being improved further.
Launch Control increased to 4,000

All in all, I'm thrilled about both additions:
- UniConnect, ability to tune my car on my own! Saves me time when I need to visit the dealer or inspection station... require 20 minutes now, instead of a visit to the closest tuner. In fact, I could detune my car if God for bid, my wife needed to drive it LOL!!!
- Unitronic DSG tune, ability to use S mode! LOL! and of course, there are many other benefits of the DSG tune.

This is a $50k car
$700 for a tune giving you 75-100hp. Another $700 to optimize all of it, so it can shake hands with the DSG.
To pay $700x2 for all this GO seems ok to me.

Cheers,
Ryan

* for the guys who are NOT tuned yet. I remember seeing a bundle deal that may benefit you to get them both at the same time. I already had the ecu tune.
I believe it's buy ECU and DSG together at same time, $150 discount
buy ECU and add DSG later, it's $100 discount.
something to that effect.

** as I mentioned above, I owe you guys videos and more pics, I'll get them up asap!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you'd get better Wifi signal in your garage if you're house wasn't so damn big! Geez man how many car garage is that?

jk! Nice write up. Your posts always make me want to do bad things to my car... very bad things... =)
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

great review. Go Uni!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an awesome write up! And a gorgeous house! Glad you got things resolved and are now one with you car. I went the APR route. Got a Stage I ECU tune last year and recently got the APR TCU tune for the DSG. I do not have the capability to do anything to either tune on my own however. Have to drive an hour to the APR authorized dealer our area but they're great. My Audi service department is all on board with my tunes as well. The ECU tune was awesome for the extra 70 HP. The ECU is triple awesome as the car now drives as it should have from the factory. It is a shame that we have to fork out extra money to achieve that but it was worth it to me as well.

Again, great and very informative write up! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2013 a7 and was in the phone with unitronic yesterday. I was looking at the stage one plus tune. I'm new to this. Can you tell me the difference between the ecu tune and the sag tune. I had an apr tune in my a5 but like the idea of being able to do it myself with the uniconnect. Where are you located Ryan?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneboy6
I have a 2013 a7 and was in the phone with unitronic yesterday. I was looking at the stage one plus tune. I'm new to this. Can you tell me the difference between the ecu tune and the sag tune. I had an apr tune in my a5 but like the idea of being able to do it myself with the uniconnect. Where are you located Ryan?
ECU tune is for more torque and hp
TCU / DSG tune is to optimize the transmission
Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RyanS3
ECU tune is for more torque and hp TCU / DSG tune is to optimize the transmission
Thank you Ryan. Turns out I don't have a dsg so I can only get the ecu tune. I hope it is as good as the apr tune I had in my a5. I love the fact that I can do this myself and change back anytime I need to go to the dealer without having to go to the apr dealer.