Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Upgrade to the RS3 or Stage I/II S3

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to the RS3 or Stage I/II S3

As soon as APR has another promotion, I was going to go ahead and do a Stage I or II upgrade on my 2015 S3. But, with the RS3 on the near horizon, I'm starting to wonder if that's a better option.

Anyone else with the same dilemma?

Pros/cons, other than the obvious TD1 and potential warranty issues of doing the tune. The RS3 sounds great, but I really do not like those wheels. I sure hope Audi has the wheels that they show on the hatch in Europe available for the U.S. model.

And, I can only assume that APR and others will have tunes available for the RS3 that will make it even more insane.

Shan3
Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather do RS3 than S3 Stage XX. First, the sound. Second, the sound. Third, the tune on that will be insane AND you get the sound! Wheels are easily replaced.

Last edited by davisflyer; 03-19-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just my opinion here...

I faced a similar decision with my S5 - upgrade through the aftermarket - or just lease an RS5. I chose the latter and have been happy as the stumbling blocks have been covered by warrantee (failed fuel regulator, damaged front brake rotors). I have done aftermarket wheels and tires and will likely upgrade the exhaust.

The RS3 will be great fun as the engine will have a unique sound and architecture (shared with the TTRS).

Happy choices

Eric
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I currently have a 2015 S3 tuned by APR to Stage II. And the sound is now different with the addition of the downpipe. Much throatier. Not the same as the RS3 sound but different than a non tuned S3. BUT, I'm in love with the RS3 from the video clips and photos. Already making arrangements with my Audi dealer to procure one if possible. I love my S3 and it is seriously stupid fast now. Zero issues to date with my car. It's been perfect. But I think I would love the RS3 more. Ready for a color change too. Have Mythos Black currently and would love the red with black optics package for the RS3. I also am not really keen on the RS3 wheels however. That is fixable after the fact of course. Eventually APR will produce tunes for RS3 as well. My S3 is now up to about 400 HP but the RS3 starts at 400. Can only imagine what bumping that up would achieve.

Last edited by Fixeroh; 03-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Well, I currently have a 2015 S3 tuned by APR to Stage II. And the sound is now different with the addition of the downpipe
Can you provide an estimate on your total cost to get your car where it is today?

Also, where did you have the work done?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rparker35; The added power wasn't cheap but it was well worth it to me. I started with the APR Stage I tune. This was done by TC Klein Racing over on the west side of Columbus. For essentially just a computer hookup to make engine adjustments, it was around $650, as I recall. Super easy and install power. Major increase with just that. A few days after that, my APR carbon fiber intake arrived. That was a self install. Another $450 there. Believe it added a few horsepower and definitely looked good under the hood. A few months after that, I added an APR oil catch can. Not something you can feel or notice but is expected to improve performance and allow the engine to run better overall. All these items are shown and priced on the APR website. May seem like I'm an APR fan boy but it's what I know, it definitely works and I've been happy to date.

Thought I would be happy with Stage I and was going to leave it at that. But the promise of more HP and torque was too strong. Decided to move to Stage II. Knew I needed a downpipe for that to function correctly as additional exhaust flow was required to unleash the extra power. Did not have to be an APR downpipe but decided to stick with what I know. Found out the Toy Barn in Dublin was an authorized APR dealer for parts AND ECU tunes. They could have done my Stage I work as well. Spoke with the service department there and they ordered an APR downpipe for me. That was $900 BUT it included the Stage II ECU flash. But since I was not going to be able to do the downpipe install myself, the Toy Barn did that work for about $300. Part of the subframe of the car has to be dropped for the downpipe install. Need a lift for that, etc.

I would highly recommend the Toy Barn for all the work. Bonus, while they are working on your car, you can gawk at the Porsche Turbos, GT3s, Acura NSXs, Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, etc. Car geek heaven.

I might throw in that I had done a resonator delete myself prior to the Stage II work. Nice sound. But after having the downpipe installed and ECU flashed, the car was way too loud! Seriously loud. So I removed the resonator delete and reinstalled the resonator. Love the sound now. It's way better than the stock sound and it major umph to get me down the road. If the RS3 wasn't coming out, I would be quite happy and content with my S3. Hope that helps you make any decisions. There is always the question of warranty issues, but my Audi (Byers) service guys know I have the ECU tunes and work with me. I'm informed that quite a few Porsche and Audi owners have ECU flashes.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As much I like the RS3, it's based on a flawed foundation. The transversely mounted engine on the FWD bias MBQ platform means that the engine power is sent to the front wheels first, then sent back. Notice that the RS3 has wider tires up frount, in order to increase front grip while reducing rear grip, which is a round-about way of inducing oversteer.

Better to start with a longitudinally mounted engine platform like MLBEvo, where the RWD bias is baked in from the beginning.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I've read about the RS3 to date, the Quattro system is biased toward the rear for the RS3 and the TTRS. The engine is also somewhat lighter than previous 5 cylinders due to different construction materials. But it is a bit nose heavy still and the wider front tires are to offset the understeer tendencies somewhat.

I'm driving the S3 now with the same configuration and I know that is biased toward FWD first. But it still handles well if you're aware of how to drive it. Will it ever put down lower lap times than a similarly equipped RWD car? Maybe not but I feel pretty damn safe driving in the rain and snow as well.

Think we can all be grateful there are so many great choices out there. To each his own of course.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiphead
As much I like the RS3, it's based on a flawed foundation.
Flawed as a track car, but depends what you're looking for. I prefer a fwd bias for ugly ice, snow, and heavy rain at speed in the mountains. I have a RWD rear-engine sports car with old-school Direct Steering and a MT to play.

If I tracked, I'd invest in a dedicated track car than compromising a Road Car.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chiphead
As much I like the RS3, it's based on a flawed foundation. The transversely mounted engine on the FWD bias MBQ platform means that the engine power is sent to the front wheels first, then sent back. Notice that the RS3 has wider tires up frount, in order to increase front grip while reducing rear grip, which is a round-about way of inducing oversteer.

Better to start with a longitudinally mounted engine platform like MLBEvo, where the RWD bias is baked in from the beginning.
I'm not sure this is true on the RS, I think there is considerable difference on the haldex for the RS 3, not to discount the physics of the infamous understeer on quattro (it's horrific on the '15, makes me want to upgrade just to get the '17 haldex improvements). I'd triple-check on that.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to the RS3 or Stage I/II S3