Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Upgraded your sound system yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgraded your sound system yet?

Wondering if anyone has tweaked or upgrade the factory sound.
1. Where's the amp?
2. Would love to see the rear composite speakers disassembled
3. I want to buy your B&O subwoofer.
4. Any issues or notes regarding your experience?

Last edited by arU4ic; 07-28-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get some pictures together but I've put 3K into the system. When I purchased the car the salesman told me it had the B&O system which it didn't and shame on me for not validating it. So I've been rather frustrated with the sound of the 10 speaker unit.

At first I thought I could change the head unit but when I mentioned that to anyone their heads almost exploded because the MMI system controls so much with the car they said it would be "bad idea". I really like the ability to have an EQ to adjust the sound which the MMI doesn't offer. I added a 1000 watt amp with it's own EQ to push the stock speakers and the new sub. I added a 12" JBL sub in the trunk.

This has definitely helped what I felt was a pretty sub par stock system. I put the amp under the passenger seat and it fits just fine. I built a wall for the sub and lose about 7" of trunk space and the ability to fold down the rear seats and put something long into the car but I didn't buy it for that so that doesn't bother me. Eventually I plan to upgrade the speakers but I think I will do coilovers first.

I've also successfully mirrored my phone on the screen but can't get sound to work which is driving me nuts. I will take some pictures after I clean it up and post here for you to see. It's a mess due to taking it on a family vacation.

Last edited by T1no33; 08-02-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI - running the wires was the hardest part due to having to remove so many things to make it happen. I would recommend being VERY patient, getting the correct removal tools and carving out a ton of time to get it done properly. If you have to rush you're going to snap something off or not do it correctly.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The idea of putting a huge sub in the back is a complete fail for me. Does it really need all that bass? I can't imagine my stock (non B&O) getting any louder or sounding much better. Most of the time when I look over and see fools banging crappy music and their plate holder vibrating from all the bass i think- these people are just like the annoying harley riders desperately in need for attention and people to look at them.

How do you get to the spare with a big honky sub. no practical. just something else to waste money on to be more annoying. enjoy!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Frankly, if I was mislead about the B&O not being in the car, I would have gone back to the dealer and made a stink. There would have been some accommodation to take back car for another with the features you wanted. It probably would have cost you less. But it sounds like you might have made many of these mods anyway even if you had gotten the B&O in the first place.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Frankly, if I was mislead about the B&O not being in the car, I would have gone back to the dealer and made a stink. There would have been some accommodation to take back car for another with the features you wanted. It probably would have cost you less. But it sounds like you might have made many of these mods anyway even if you had gotten the B&O in the first place.
I called the salesman on the phone and he denied ever saying it. He said he never would have made that mistake. It was a he/said he/said thing so I didn't feel there was much I could do.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
The idea of putting a huge sub in the back is a complete fail for me. Does it really need all that bass? I can't imagine my stock (non B&O) getting any louder or sounding much better. Most of the time when I look over and see fools banging crappy music and their plate holder vibrating from all the bass i think- these people are just like the annoying harley riders desperately in need for attention and people to look at them.

How do you get to the spare with a big honky sub. no practical. just something else to waste money on to be more annoying. enjoy!
It's definitely a "to each is own" thing. I've always upgraded the sub in every car I've had. It's only a 12" sub so it's actually small. I don't want people to hear me across the street I just like the punch of good bass. I can tell you the difference is huge.

I also really like having a EQ to adjust the sound. Treble, Bass and Sub aren't enough for me.

Here's some pics. No worries if you don't like cause I do and I feel it was money well spent. I can access the spare just fine as well. Best of luck in what you decide to do and enjoy the car!

I only lost the back 7" of trunk space so no biggie for me.

This is the amp I purchased

This is how I installed it under the passenger seat. When the seat is in a normal position you don't even see it.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be in car audio competition. I'm a hopeless audiophile who has spent an amazing amount of time with audio over the last 50 years. I hold audio get-to-gethers and post reviews as well.

I have the B & O system and although I respect B & O, they aren't really in the home high end audio radar. But I gotta tell you, damn, this B & O system in the A3 smokes every car audio installation I've ever done. I cannot believe how good this stereo sounds. In fact, I'm going to contact the designer/engineer and congratulate him/her on creating such a well balanced system that is transparent enough to note the bit rates quality of lossy files. I'm not an MP3 guy but using 320Kbps, it's pretty darn good.

On the way to work this morning, I thought I'd try to burn some lossless MP4 files and compare to my 320 MP3's, that is, if the B & O will transcode MP4?
Nice install BTW

The MMI is greatness too. Only flaw I've found is when you attach a hard drive full of music, the files get scrambled. To bad.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by T1no33
I called the salesman on the phone and he denied ever saying it. He said he never would have made that mistake. It was a he/said he/said thing so I didn't feel there was much I could do.
Sorry to hear... valuable lesson to make sure you get what you want so you don't have regrets (at least minimize regrets) later. Next time, do business elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Sorry to hear... valuable lesson to make sure you get what you want so you don't have regrets (at least minimize regrets) later. Next time, do business elsewhere.
Yes Sir, big lesson learned. lol

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Upgraded your sound system yet?