Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Upgraded your sound system yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
The idea of putting a huge sub in the back is a complete fail for me. Does it really need all that bass? I can't imagine my stock (non B&O) getting any louder or sounding much better. Most of the time when I look over and see fools banging crappy music and their plate holder vibrating from all the bass i think- these people are just like the annoying harley riders desperately in need for attention and people to look at them.

How do you get to the spare with a big honky sub. no practical. just something else to waste money on to be more annoying. enjoy!
Well, "most" sub installs are designed to be easily removed and taken out, according to my installer, for a few extra bucks, having easily disconnecting speaker wire is a no-brainier. It takes about 10 seconds for me to remove my sub from the trunk, maybe 30 seconds to hook it back up.

Second, you don't hear the license plate holder rattling from inside the car. Ironically, it's the people that "don't" care how others view them, that have rattling license plate frames. I just used a few pieces of cloth to eliminate the rattle of the frame. I have a convertible, I know it draws attention, so I don't want it to be negative. I do care about how other people look at my car.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by T1no33
It's definitely a "to each is own" thing. I've always upgraded the sub in every car I've had. It's only a 12" sub so it's actually small. I don't want people to hear me across the street I just like the punch of good bass. I can tell you the difference is huge.

I also really like having a EQ to adjust the sound. Treble, Bass and Sub aren't enough for me.

Here's some pics. No worries if you don't like cause I do and I feel it was money well spent. I can access the spare just fine as well. Best of luck in what you decide to do and enjoy the car!

I only lost the back 7" of trunk space so no biggie for me.

This is the amp I purchased

This is how I installed it under the passenger seat. When the seat is in a normal position you don't even see it.

That is a clean install. Very nicely done. I'm surprised you were willing to make the sacrifice of space for a false wall instead of just locating a smaller enclosure in the trunk, but as you essentially stated, these are not cargo haulers.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
The idea of putting a huge sub in the back is a complete fail for me. Does it really need all that bass? I can't imagine my stock (non B&O) getting any louder or sounding much better. Most of the time when I look over and see fools banging crappy music and their plate holder vibrating from all the bass i think- these people are just like the annoying harley riders desperately in need for attention and people to look at them.

How do you get to the spare with a big honky sub. no practical. just something else to waste money on to be more annoying. enjoy!
I just want to defend us audiophiles for a moment...

It's not about more bass, it's about more complete frequency range in low-end range (Bass). I agree that I don't want to lose truck space, more likely I would replace the factory sub with something a little more substantial and upgrade to amp.

The B&O is simply the best factory system I've ever heard, I didn't get it, but think I can get close by imitating the set-up. In-fact, I'm hoping someone dumps their B&O and put the amp and sub up for sale.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arU4ic

It's not about more bass, it's about more complete frequency range in low-end range (Bass). I agree that I don't want to lose truck space, more likely I would replace the factory sub with something a little more substantial and upgrade to amp.

The B&O is simply the best factory system I've ever heard, I didn't get it, but think I can get close by imitating the set-up. In-fact, I'm hoping someone dumps their B&O and put the amp and sub up for sale.
What he said except I don't mind losing 7" of trunk space. I commute 131 miles a day and this car is solely meant to bring me to and from work. The new Q5 is the family hauler. That has the B&O and HOLY CRAPBALLS that's the best sounding system I've ever heard. So full of depth.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't made changes to my sound system because I'm waiting for a miracle like Audi offer aftermarket add-ins like Bang and Olufsen installation.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic

Don't defend yourself to this guy, every post he makes is trolling, just ignore him.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I added an OnCore 12" sub and amp in the spare tire well to the BO system. Sounds GREAT.

I also had a 10" IDMax sub from the rear deck as well.

Last edited by P2WRTMR; 08-31-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T1no33

This is how I installed it under the passenger seat. When the seat is in a normal position you don't even see it.
Wow awesome install! Is the amp pretty small? I have two amps currently, but they are pretty big. This is pretty perfect! Must resist....
Old 08-12-2015, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sevenpsych
Don't defend yourself to this guy, every post he makes is trolling, just ignore him.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I like it.

Yeah I think most clients know more than the sales people sometimes. Especially, when you do your research and ask them questions they either just say yes to agree with you or look at you with a nervous twitch while nodding, etc., lol.

Anyways, I was wondering about this as well regarding the sound system. I opted out on the B&O sound system to save money but now after listening to the system in my little brother's S3...OMG I f'd up!

Your solution is nice but I don't want to do all that customizing...but obviously you've done your research and learned a few things about the stock sound system in these cars. Therefore, I have a question for you...do you think a simple powered subwoofer like a bazooka tube style would work? I need bass in my car and the stock is HORRIBLE! Your thoughts? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Upgraded your sound system yet?