Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

USB port not charging

Old 08-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB port not charging

My 2016 Audi A3 USB port recently stopped charging. I verified the cable is not a problem and the port worked on the same device previously. Does anyone know if there is a fuse assigned to this item that I can verify or anything else I can try? Seem like a small issue to bring back to the dealer for service, but the car is relatively still new.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by metelc
My 2016 Audi A3 USB port recently stopped charging. I verified the cable is not a problem and the port worked on the same device previously. Does anyone know if there is a fuse assigned to this item that I can verify or anything else I can try? Seem like a small issue to bring back to the dealer for service, but the car is relatively still new.

Thanks!

This is the port in your glovebox correct? If im not mistaken the fuse is part of the whole mmi circuit. So if your radio is working chances are the fuse is not blown.

be aware that your car needs to be on for the usb port to charge. if you want the power to always be on you may need to use the 12v socket. look in the manual to move one of the fuses to 'always on'
it will keep the 12v port on even when the car is off. quite helpful when charging phones you leave in your car
Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dryale
This is the port in your glovebox correct? If im not mistaken the fuse is part of the whole mmi circuit. So if your radio is working chances are the fuse is not blown.

be aware that your car needs to be on for the usb port to charge. if you want the power to always be on you may need to use the 12v socket. look in the manual to move one of the fuses to 'always on'
it will keep the 12v port on even when the car is off. quite helpful when charging phones you leave in your car
Thanks for the response. The port is in the arm rest console, but I assume that was you meant. I'll have to look for the ability to turn the 12v port on at all times, that would be helpful. Without an easy fix on the USB, I'll wait till I'm bringing the car in for other maintenance.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a VCD or OBD11, you can check to make sure the proper setting is enabled. There is USB, Power+USB or Power only options (I forget exactly where it is tho).
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had the same problem

My phone quit charging twice this past weekend on a trip. All I had to do was wiggle the cable a few times and it started charging again. Loose connection either at the phone or in the armrest. I leave the usb cable plugged in all of the time, and that may have loosened the connection.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
If you have a VCD or OBD11, you can check to make sure the proper setting is enabled. There is USB, Power+USB or Power only options (I forget exactly where it is tho).
The 2016 may be different, but I thought in the 2015 A3 the USB was for power only. Wish it was also for data.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timgo2003
The 2016 may be different, but I thought in the 2015 A3 the USB was for power only. Wish it was also for data.
It can be set to any of the options via VCD, but Audi decided to dumb it down depending on your car's model/location. Thought it was pretty interesting find while in the VCD settings. I only have the 3.5mm jack so haven't been able to play around with it - though I have the module , just not the cables to connect it to my MMI. I'd suspect it will act just like the SD card slots if data is enabled.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Maintenance

Thanks for the response. The port is in the arm rest console, but I assume that was you meant. I'll have to look for the ability to turn the 12v port on at all times, that would be helpful. Without an easy fix on the USB, I'll wait till I'm bringing the car in for other maintenance.
would like to know if maintenance helped with USB? what was a problem?
Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uldisv
would like to know if maintenance helped with USB? what was a problem?
I have not had the chance to bring it in to get fixed. I can't justify the time at this point for just the USB port. I'll update the forum when I do.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default F16

I have not had the chance to bring it in to get fixed. I can't justify the time at this point for just the USB port. I'll update the forum when I do.
I can confirm F16 fuse is down. Installed new one - but it is down again. Will go to dealer service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USB port not charging