Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Use Siri with MMI SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdjaime
No, I was referring to Kwakkwakk's suggestion, which I interpreted it as just the iPhone. No Apple Watch here yet until they release the 2nd gen.
what's up with the 2nd gen? many improvements?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No CarPlay for current A3

I recently spoke to a senior Audi exec; he told me that CarPlay implementation is not possible on the current A3s. He said it's not just a question of simply swapping out logic boards.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by letaub
I recently spoke to a senior Audi exec; he told me that CarPlay implementation is not possible on the current A3s. He said it's not just a question of simply swapping out logic boards.
Well, then someone is lying (1 minute in)

Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is what I posted on Audizine forums regarding the CarPlay.

I know many complain about not having the Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto on our cars and many hoping that it will eventually be available as a software update for the current owners.

I think it won't happen and here is why.

If you watch how the Apple CarPlay functions on the new Q7, the answer will be clear: Our MMI system doesn't comply to the functional structure of Audi's integration of the CarPlay and Google Android Auto. The Q7 video is available on my.audi.com. I couldn't find a YouTube video to embed, please post if you find.

The new MMI scroll-wheel on Q7 also functions as an Up-and-Down and Left-and-Right navigation button and with the fact that the display doesn't have touch feature, the latter is the only input source when using CarPlay or Android Auto. Our cars don't have neither the multifunction scroll-wheel nor a touch screen display, hence we won't see any possibility to upgrade our MMI systems in the future with CarPlay or Android Auto.

For VW developers it was definitely easier to implement the feature, as the Golf's display is touch-screen, where the Audi's system is the limitation in that sense.

On the other hand one other possibility could be if the Audi engineers decide to utilize the four soft buttons around the MMI scroll-wheel in our cars. I imagine the top left and right buttons can function as Left and Right navigation, then the lower left as Up and lower right button as Down, for instance.

One of the Audizine forum members suggested that the MMI touchpad could also be enabled as Left-Right-Up-Down navigation sources, which I think is very clever especially if two-finger swap worked, it would be a perfect solution.

I personally like the Q7 integration as the best in the market, as I think a touch-screen display is a really bad idea in any car.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I'll add that it's not in a car-maker's habits to upgrade existing vehicles, they amass upgrades to draw buyers to upgrade their present vehicle.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by letaub
And you believed him?