Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Very weird MMI screen occurrence

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very weird MMI screen occurrence

I had something very spooky happen the other day with the MMI screen in my 2015 A3 Cabriolet, leased last July. I had returned from a shopping trip, parked in garage, turned the engine off and taken out the key (I don't have Advanced Key). I'd had music playing, and of course it turned off and the screen descended, as expected. I was taking groceries up and about to close the garage door when suddenly, I hear music playing very loudly. I return to the Audi, and the MMI screen is up and music is playing. The key is still in my pocket.

So I get in the A3, re-insert the key, turn power on and off again. The music stops and the screen descends.

I called my Audi dealer's service later and describe the event. Person who answered is polite and agrees it's very odd, has never heard of anything like that. Offers to set up appointment but I am near free 5000 mile check-up, so I decide to wait.

That was about 2 weeks ago. Hasn't happened again and everything has been as expected. I'll be taking A3 in for that 5000 mile service in a couple weeks, but I expect there will be no way to replicate the event.

The only other MMI issue I've had was during a heat wave this summer, when on a very hot day, upon ignition the screen did not rise at all. That actually happened twice. Once I was really expecting to use the rear view mirror. So I turned the car of and on again, and up it came. That also has not reoccurred.

Just offering these experiences to see if anyone on the forum has experienced anything similar or has any thoughts.

Otherwise, loving my 1.8 A3 Cab.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is weird. Haven't experienced anything like that. One day, when leaving my driveway, I noticed the MMI was completely unresponsive. Couldn't change the view; wheel wasn't working; volume **** did not appear to work; the retractor switch didn't even work. I kept driving, however, as I had to be somewhere. About 2 miles into my drive the screen retracted and popped back out, and worked. I think it crashed and rebooted itself.

Only happened once.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you have bumped the volume **** while unloading? Even without the key, if you push the **** it will power on and allow you to listen to music.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STItoS3
Could you have bumped the volume **** while unloading? Even without the key, if you push the **** it will power on and allow you to listen to music.
This is what I was thinking. That **** is very sensitive, the lightest bump to it when the MMI is off will turn it back on. The volume **** is also sensitive. I once was bumping to my music playing when the object I had on the passenger seat rolled over against the **** and turned the volume up to max.

Ouch my ears!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if the MMI screen retracts on its own it is because it is resetting itself. probably because of a software crash
Old 11-30-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
if the MMI screen retracts on its own it is because it is resetting itself. probably because of a software crash
Reading is fundamental
Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by STItoS3
OP here. Maybe on the above, but it's been a couple weeks and I really have no such recollection. But I wouldn't have pushed the volume **** while unloading, because I was taking things out of the trunk. Yes the A3 Cab has a trunk! It holds 2, maybe 3 bags of groceries. Just kidding! I think I can get four in there.

I didn't realize pushing the **** after turning off the engine and removing the key could activate the MMi screen. I'll give that a test run if I remember when I get back in my A3 for the slog home through LA traffic
Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Must have been volume ****

I checked it out and yes, with no key in ignition the MMI screen will pop up if you hit the volume ****, and music will start if you turned the car off with it playing. It won't play through bluetooth if the ignition isn't on, I found out, because I usually play music off my iPod through Bluetooth (I don't have the iPod interface, and don't miss it). So I must have been listening to the radio that day. Now I think it's unfortunate that whoever answered the phone in service had no clue why this would have happened. It reminds me of my first A3 test drive, where the sales dude insisted you had to stop the car and put it in park to raise/lower top. No kidding. The guy I eventually bought from was cool but also did not know you can activate dual climate controls by holding one button (I forget which button it is - it's the left one in my A3). I learned that later, on this forum. That's why these forums are invaluable! More knowledge than the dealers, it seems...

Last edited by mullini; 12-04-2015 at 10:23 AM.