Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

VIM via VAG COM/VCDS Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIM via VAG COM/VCDS Question

Hello,
Has anyone successfully done the VIM enable via Vag Com cable for the A3 (2015)?

I followed instructions, but the security code never gets accepted. Did Audi change how to implement the code?

Any help appreciated (I did VIM on A5 and Q5/A7 but stymied here)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You said you did the VIM on the Q5? Can you show me how please? I just bought my 15 Q5 and i would like to enable the VIM? Thanks a lot
Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK, no one has been able to crack the code for the North American A3 8V.

Why they got to be so up the *** on safety.

They could at least let the video show when cruising at certain speeds like above 60 and below 20mph. Like how airliners will let you use electronics at certain periods throughout a airplanes flight.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
AFAIK, no one has been able to crack the code for the North American A3 8V.

Why they got to be so up the *** on safety.

They could at least let the video show when cruising at certain speeds like above 60 and below 20mph. Like how airliners will let you use electronics at certain periods throughout a airplanes flight.
The stark difference being that the pilots don't share the viewing experience. I don't feel the manufacturers are obligated to make their products easy to circumvent safety features. Insurance companies can cancel your policy or deny a claim if they discover VIM was enabled. Apple makes it notoriously difficult to jailbreak or root their devices and people still buy them in droves. Perhaps they could provide a way to do it with a gigantic disclaimer? It just seems like a legal thing they don't want to mess with. I'd still really like to be able to watch a video while stuck on the 405 though...

Last edited by Syrome; 03-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Syrome
The stark difference being that the pilots don't share the viewing experience. I don't feel the manufacturers are obligated to make their products easy to circumvent safety features. Insurance companies can cancel your policy or deny a claim if they discover VIM was enabled. Apple makes it notoriously difficult to jailbreak or root their devices and people still buy them in droves. Perhaps they could provide a way to do it with a gigantic disclaimer? It just seems like a legal thing they don't want to mess with. I'd still really like to be able to watch a video while stuck on the 405 though...
Apple just don't want you to be able to install unassigned, unapproved programs on their iDevices. To them would you rather buy that TV show/Movie from Itunes than just view it free with via XbMC.
Google on the other hand gives Android owner more independence by offering ability to run unassigned programs as an option in advanced settings.

To the autos I can see a car company like Hyundai offering VIM in their vehicles like the Genesis.

I think Google and Hyundai being the smaller companies have less to lose and any extra features will be a plus for them.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

The classic conundrum of "walled garden" vs "open to all." It's interesting that Apple uses the same argument Audi does of "Safety and Security." There are plenty of other ways to be adequately distracted while operating your vehicle that the Auto industry embraces, most everyone will admit that even talking hands free while driving increases risk of an incident.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lino1011
You said you did the VIM on the Q5? Can you show me how please? I just bought my 15 Q5 and i would like to enable the VIM? Thanks a lot
For your Q5 https://trick77.com/tools/mmi3g_vimcode.php
Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this is beyond a safety lock-down for AG/ AOA, they went way out of their way to hardcode this… there must be another reason, even maybe accidental, that VIM can't be activated.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dadizon
Thanks a lot
Old 03-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Been trying to get the VIM unlock, no luck at all...

I am willing to pay some cash if someone can figure this out....

Quick Reply: VIM via VAG COM/VCDS Question