Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

VIM (video in motion) on A3 S3 FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean you tried the video input and it doesnt work? or just haven't tried it yet?
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tsyndr
Yes please explain this intriguing setup. Photos would be nice.
I did a posting on another forum about it:
VWVortex.com - Google Chromecast on the MMI...

My final "rig" is a piece of vinyl flooring with the items taped underneath, and then a few small wooden blocks as 'stilts' to support it. Fits nice and tight and doesnt rattle at all.
This all goes *under* the piece of rubber at the bottom of the armrest cavity, so besides the AMI cable and usb cable, nothing shows and I just lose 1.5" in depth, which is no big deal and its pretty stealthy. During the 6 month free trial (unlimited data), I had it connect to the car wifi and told the car to allow access. Ive since played with the phone being the hotspot instead of using the car, and that works just as well too. I use "Plex" alot and the phone servers the videos that I download to it so that the chromecast doesnt use any of my data plan.

The MMI supports PAL, which is higher resolution that NTSC, and looks pretty decent and sounds pretty darn good too!

Its great when I'm waiting that 1.5 hours for my daughter at dance class and I get to avoid those "Dance Moms" (sometimes I park close enough to connect the that wifi too, but I now I'm going "super-geek" and I'll stop here :-) ).
Attached Images   

Last edited by daves4; 07-22-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I have a similar set-up with AppleTV - but always ran into the VIM problem... I posted it sometime ago, let me see if I can find it.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here it is:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...s-car-2877357/
Old 07-23-2015, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default nice

Awesome guys, thanks. These setups would be best if it works with the recently discovered VIM mod. Otherwise I figure if I'm parked anyway, I might as well just watch whatever on my phone/tablet and bluetooth the audio through the car. But so tempting to do!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tsyndr;
Awesome guys, thanks. These setups would be best if it works with the recently discovered VIM mod. Otherwise I figure if I'm parked anyway, I might as well just watch whatever on my phone/tablet and bluetooth the audio through the car. But so tempting to do!
I don't see why it wouldn't.....If VIM is unlocked then its fully unlocked.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 116Crew
I don't see why it wouldn't.....If VIM is unlocked then its fully unlocked.
Then let's hope it can in fact be used across multiple cars despite what the website says. If not, may still be worth it....

This website is terrible for me, I'm 3 months away from getting my car and already I have mods dancing in my head in my sleep.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tsyndr
By "recently discovered VIM mod" do you mean the hardware odb coding dongle referenced earlier in this thread or did someone figure out how to do it through VCDS/vag-com?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ahyeah
By "recently discovered VIM mod" do you mean the hardware odb coding dongle referenced earlier in this thread or did someone figure out how to do it through VCDS/vag-com?
Yes, the hardware odb coding dongle referenced earlier in this thread.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I'm sorry you think this 'a BS', but please don't be impolite, we like to try to be nice with each other.
Guys,

Really sorry for that, I just tried to point out, that people in Europe activating the VIM in MQB cars (A3 8V is a MQB platform) since 5 months using pure software solution (not a hardware dongle) and you're saying, that it is impossible ...

Yes, it can NOT be done with VCDS, but can be easily done with a VCP. See TV codieren Raum Frankfurt - Audi A3 Forum für Tuning, Probleme und Hilfe

Quick Reply: VIM (video in motion) on A3 S3 FAIL!