Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

VIM (Video In Motion) Unlock - Dongle That Works!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
ohh lol- oh well didn't need that cable anyways.....

i still have the lighting cable to charge my phone. but it doesn't seem to work for video.
for that I think I need to insert a DVD. Ill try video through the SD slot to. but streaming through my phone would be ideal...

@JD did you get your money back or does the VIM dongle work now that you have the right cable?
For it to work you have to use a genuine AV adapter from audi dealership. If you're car has WiFi and phone mirrors than that's another option.

I disputed it with my card company and I found someone in my area that work on VCDS and will go this weekend. Hopefully it will work while I drive.

Last edited by jDreamer85; 08-20-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jDreamer85

I got from the dealership, $80. I asked for the AV MMI lighting adapter. There is a list of adapter in the MMI manual in your car.
Thanks for this. I purchased an OEM "Adapter for Audio/Video Audi music interface 4F0 051 510 AA" on eBay from an individual seller who had one. I can confirm that it will deliver both video and audio automatically through the center console AMI port, but only when the car is stopped, if you hit the "media" option. I have the 2015 non-Nav, non-B&O, non-DVD MMI system.

Here's a picture I took with my Canon, using the A/V jacks on the camera to hook to the AMI adapter:

I found a local shop that says they can easily disable VIM for a small charge if I bring the car in. I'll report back if and when I do that.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Va_TTer
Thanks for this. I purchased an OEM "Adapter for Audio/Video Audi music interface 4F0 051 510 AA" on eBay from an individual seller who had one. I can confirm that it will deliver both video and audio automatically through the center console AMI port, but only when the car is stopped, if you hit the "media" option. I have the 2015 non-Nav, non-B&O, non-DVD MMI system.

Here's a picture I took with my Canon, using the A/V jacks on the camera to hook to the AMI adapter:

I found a local shop that says they can easily disable VIM for a small charge if I bring the car in. I'll report back if and when I do that.
Great! Let me know about the VIM and what he did. I took it a shop and couldnt find the right code.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

What else did you need to mirror your iphone on the MMI screen?

This 4F0 051 510 AA and what else?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1.)Looks like we need that Audi A/V cable.
2.)And then a Converter of the A/V cable to your phone?

On closer inspection he is converting the AV to HDMI
Then he has a hdmi to phone cable.

so 3 parts total

doing this on a iphone 6 plus will let ya know

Last edited by markN1689; 08-31-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 116Crew
What else did you need to mirror your iphone on the MMI screen?

This 4F0 051 510 AA and what else?
I mirrored a Samsung Galaxy S5, not an iPhone, and I've also hooked in my iPod so that I can listen to music while displaying the Nav. With that caveat, the approach I used in my car requires the following materials:

1. 4F0 051 510 AA cable. At one end, this cable is a set of standard A/V (RCA jack) plugs. They are female -- one yellow for video, and a red / white audio pair. At the other end is the AMI adapter.

2. A cheap eBay HDMI to A/V converter box (paid $12 shipped) that looks like this:

This converter was necessary (at least with my phone) as my phone outputs a digital video signal (converted to HDMI per item 4 below). If you simply take a cable that converts HDMI to A/V, you're going to be pushing a digital signal through analog cables. I didn't try it, but I doubt the Audi MMI would know what to do with it. This is a powered adapter (powered via a USB cable), but it seems to work without hooking up the power supply. Which is good because:

4. A cable to convert the output of my Samsung Galaxy (mhl standard, and a microusb port) to HDMI. I went with one that looks like this, for about $8:

This also requires that you hook up both the HDMI and the separate USB power end. The power is needed to keep the phone charging while it's hooked into the system. The USB port in the center console next to the AMI port works for that.

5. A stereo audio jack to RCA audio cable like this one:

This is to get the iPod Audio into the system. Details below.

6. A cheap female - female RCA audio cable (red and white plugs).

7. A cheap female - female RCA video cable (yellow plugs).

8. My phone.

9. My iPod.

10. My iPod charger.

I have this hooked up with 8) phone --> 4) MHL to HDMI cable, USB end to car port, HDMI end to ---> 2) HDMI to A/V (RCA) converter ---> 7) female - female RCA video cable ---> 1) yellow plug of Audi MMI A/V adapter.

Also hooked up is 9) iPod --> 5). stereo audio to a/v jack --> 6. female - female RCA audio cables (red and white) --> red and white plugs of Audio MMI A/V adapter.

Also hooked up is 10) iPod charger to iPod, which I have plugged into the cigarette lighter behind the center console.

The net result is that my map display is showing on the MMI, while the car audio is playing my iPod. Nav is controlled via the phone touch screen, which is directly mirrored. The iPod is controlled by the control wheel on the device. The car is only passing the audio through. If you are relying on the same device for both nav and audio, you can simply run the 6. female-female RCA audio cables from 2) converter to 1) AMI cable. That'd be a much cleaner, simpler install but unfortunately I'm stuck with an Apple music library and a Samsung mobile phone.

A word of warning: given the many cheap cables and boxes in the run above, video and audio quality both suffer -- we're talking somewhat twitchy video depending on the resolution of what you're displaying, and crackly audio. But it's usable for my purposes and cost me a total of $50 or so in cables and shipping. I expect to spend another $50 to have the VIM unlocked -- this is the key step, as for now what I describe above only works when I'm parked. At that point, I'll have Nav in my car using the Waze app and my iPod music library, for a lot less than the $2xxx the Audi Nav would have run me.

Last edited by Va_TTer; 08-31-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are relying on the same device for both nav and audio, you can simply run the 6. female-female RCA audio cables from 2) converter to 1) AMI cable. That'd be a much cleaner, simpler install but unfortunately I'm stuck with an Apple music library and a Samsung mobile phone.
This is something I've been wondering. Say I'm using just a phone for both mirroring and music, will the Bluetooth audio connection work while my screen is being mirrored, or are they different inputs? Or will the music have to go through the av audio cable? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered that white box.
A small 6 inch usb connector to charge it (instead of the long cable it comes with) optional
The audi A/V cable
And the iPhone HDMI to lightning converter
All I need is to do now find a slim/compact hdmi cable.

Will post pics once i get it all setup. The parts should be arriving by FRiday.
This will be super awesome as my car is already VIM unlocked
Old 09-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
This will be super awesome as my car is already VIM unlocked
How did you get your VIM unlocked? I'm planning on doing a similar setup once I get my car in a week or two and this seems to be the biggest obstacle... Thanks!

EDIT: 'Doh, I'm guessing you used the dongle being discussed in this thread?

Last edited by liquid6908; 09-01-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Were you able to get the VIM working?

Quick Reply: VIM (Video In Motion) Unlock - Dongle That Works!