Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Wait a minute! Found new "hidden" features - (hill hold assist & reverse mirror tilt)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wait a minute! Found new "hidden" features - (hill hold assist & reverse mirror tilt)

So I was on the Audi USA site seeing if the new 2016 was listed, but nothing yet. Seeing a bunch of Premium Plus pre-owned cars also for pretty cheap!

I started searching for maintenance schedule info and then found all the videos they have about learning how to use the car. I feel incredibly dumb as I have over 16K miles on the car and I completely just learned a bunch of "new-to-me" features of the car!

Audi Video Help & Tutorials | Audi USA

Reverse Mirror Tilt
I wanted reverse mirror drop down and thought it was strange it was not standard on this car. I guess it is, just needs to be programmed. I tried the VCD approach awhile ago and it didn't work for me. Well there is a video that basically shows you how! Turn the car on, put car in reverse, move mirror control to passenger side, adjust to your liking, put car back in park. Mirror will go back to normal setting when parking brake is off.

Hill Hold Assist
Didn't understand why some European cars had the extra switch but the US cars had the blank. Well looks like if you are on a hill and put the parking brake on, this acts like the same thing (granted doors are closed/locked and seat belt is on). If car is in drive and you press on the accelerator, it will automatically disengage the parking brake. Live in Hilly SF and this def comes in handy on some of the crazy steep "mountains".

Cruise control
If I hold the stalk up it increases speed by 5+ miles instead of just 1. I've always just tapped up/down usually trying to play a mental game of "whats the best gas mileage you can get today".

Transmission
So usually I will shift using the paddles and sometimes wait for the car to return to Drive after about 10 seconds, but lately have been pressing the gear shifter to put back in Drive. I guess if you just hold the + paddle for more than a second, this will put the car back in normal drive mode, allowing you to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

I could of learned this I'm sure by reading the manual, but thats sounds just as much fun as watching paint dry to me. I've used the manual a few times to figure out what fuses to tap into and thats about it.

Exciting to me that after owning this car for so long, there are still things I'm discovering - like little random presents left from Santa, I was just too lazy to look for them :-P. Going to try all this tomorrow on my commute and hopefully they all work (mirror thing especially).

Well just thought I'd share for those, like me, that don't read the manual or just don't have the time.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Reverse Mirror Tilt tip!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the tips!

Anyone know how to get the side mirrors to fold? Ideally they should fold everytime I put it into park and shut it down. And unfold when I start the car up again.

Tried moving the **** up, down, side, in, out etc nothing folded them.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your car is equipped with this feature, there is an indicator on the mirrors control at 6 o'clock. If you put the **** in this position, the mirrors fold.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
If your car is equipped with this feature, there is an indicator on the mirrors control at 6 o'clock. If you put the **** in this position, the mirrors fold.
FWIW, I leave mine in the 2 o'clock position, which folds the mirrors and allows for the reverse-tilt to happen.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well I have an S3 and im in the states. So I should have it right? I dont recall seeing this as a special option but I could be wrong. (Checked it looks like its only on the Prestige)

Will def. try the 6 and 2 o'clock position. Thanks!!

Last edited by markN1689; 07-22-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
thanks for the tips!

Anyone know how to get the side mirrors to fold? Ideally they should fold everytime I put it into park and shut it down. And unfold when I start the car up again.

Tried moving the **** up, down, side, in, out etc nothing folded them.
The next time you're in your A3/S3 go to the MMI and access the Car menu, it should be a setting there for the exterior that you set to fold mirrors on car lock.

Last edited by gamegenie; 07-22-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The power folding mirrors are part of the Convenience Package, so if your car is not so equipped they will not perform that function.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ah mine DO fold! did not find the MMI setting, but rotating the **** did fold them in. I do have the Convenience Package (heated seats hook, net, etc..)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the setting for them to automatically fold is in the MMI.
I suggest you spend more time with it, you'll find it.

I too use to use the manual **** to fold the mirrors until I found the setting in the MMI that does it automatically on car lock.

Quick Reply: Wait a minute! Found new "hidden" features - (hill hold assist & reverse mirror tilt)