Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Weird question about B&O sytem

Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird question about B&O sytem

I have a 2015 A3 Cab. Window sticker says it has the B&O and the lower front grills say B&O. BUT!!...for all the talk about what a great sound system this is, I don't think it sounds special at all (measured using CD's, not compressed audio files). In fact, the Harman-Kardon system in my 10 year old Mini Cooper sounds a lot better, with nearly half the power! So, my question is: Is it possible that I don't really have the H&K system installed? Maybe somebody at the factory screwed up? Is there another way to determine if I actually have the system?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, sound quality is quite subjective and perceived 'good sounding' sound will be different with every person. I have read of people liking the sound quality of Bose over B&O. Some like you like the sound of Harman Kardon better. Some don't care about high-quality sound. They just go for the Audi Symphony or Concert Systems.

If you bought your A3 cab used, there is a possibility that there might be something wrong with the system.

To answer your question, I think the Build-sticker with the PR Codes might tell you what kind of sound system is fitted in your car. The build-sticker is found in your warranty booklet and in the spare wheel well. Decode the PR Codes using this decoder.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, sounds like something is broken.

Can you describe the difference in sound? (I'm an Audio geek... ok, super geek).
Old 10-24-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be that the system was designed for the sedan and not the cab and you therefore have a sub-optimal system?
I could imagine the canvas roof does not offer a similar environment for sound.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I agree, sounds like something is broken.

Can you describe the difference in sound? (I'm an Audio geek... ok, super geek).
I don't know how to describe it other than not sounding like a premium system. I expect the bass to be deep and the high to be crisp. It doesn't really sound much better than the base stereo in our Toyota Sienna van. Whereas the sound in my Mini Cooper is rich.

I guess my question is can I identify whether or not it's installed by looking at the amplifier or speakers or the MMI. My MMI doesn't identify it as a B&O, though I don't know if that's normal or not.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davisflyer
I don't know how to describe it other than not sounding like a premium system. I expect the bass to be deep and the high to be crisp. It doesn't really sound much better than the base stereo in our Toyota Sienna van. Whereas the sound in my Mini Cooper is rich.

I guess my question is can I identify whether or not it's installed by looking at the amplifier or speakers or the MMI. My MMI doesn't identify it as a B&O, though I don't know if that's normal or not.
Have you checked the settings for the sound system to make sure bass and treble are not at a depressed setting?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BobMar46
Have you checked the settings for the sound system to make sure bass and treble are not at a depressed setting?
Yes, the bass is set at approx +2 and the treble is at +2. Is it supposed to say Bang and Olufsen anywhere on the MMI screen like this picture I found on Google: (I know it's not an A3)

Also, I don't have a subwoofer setting, but I'm not sure the Cabrio has subs.

Last edited by davisflyer; 10-24-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by easymacgyver
Could it be that the system was designed for the sedan and not the cab and you therefore have a sub-optimal system?
I could imagine the canvas roof does not offer a similar environment for sound.
Nope, supposedly design specific to cabrio

A3 | CABRIOLET - Bang & Olufsen

Last edited by davisflyer; 10-24-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked MMI settings on mine. There is only bass and treble but no control for a sub. Based on the fact that the cab has one less speaker than the sedan and 80 less stated watts, I suspect there is not a sub. There was no indication of B & O on the settings screen.

The manual indicates that settings are source specific. I did set for each when I first got mine, but seem to remember they were not different when I went to different sources and then to the sound settings. That may be something else different on the cab.

FYI I use the following settings. Bass and Treble half way between neutral and max, Surround off, SDV at max, fader centered for all and Sound balance all. Depending on volume at which you listen, you could get away with higher Bass and Treble as long as you do not listen to the system at high volumes.

I have only been in the A3 sedan a couple of times when I had a service loaner and what I got was the base model with standard audio system. IMO that did not sound in the same league as the B & O system.

As was posted before we all have different ideas about what is good sound and what is not. Occasionally base systems get it right in spite of the inexpensive components. More often than not that is not the case though. Most ragtops do not have as much bass as sedans. Except for MB, I don't believe any put speakers on the back deck behind the rear seats and even with them what encloses the top acts as an enclosure that you would not have on a sedan.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I checked MMI settings on mine. There is only bass and treble but no control for a sub. ...There was no indication of B & O on the settings screen.
That helps, thanks!

FYI I use the following settings. Bass and Treble half way between neutral and max, Surround off, SDV at max, fader centered for all and Sound balance all. Depending on volume at which you listen, you could get away with higher Bass and Treble as long as you do not listen to the system at high volumes.
Hmm, I don't have a SDV graphic. Mine says Dyn. Vol., is that the same thing? Also I don't have Sound balance "all" option like I do on fader.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird question about B&O sytem