Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Weird question about B&O sytem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davisflyer
That helps, thanks!

Hmm, I don't have a SDV graphic. Mine says Dyn. Vol., is that the same thing? Also I don't have Sound balance "all" option like I do on fader.
I think so on SDV. It is an abbreviation I suspect for sound dynamic volume. I am running with the current map/mmi update. Based on the date mine was originally sold, manufacturing had to be very early for the 15 model year. Mine has Drive Select so interface might be a little different.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks for checking those settings!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Our cars are the same year, but sometimes even with that there are changes after production starts during the same model year. The manufacturer of my wife's previous car decided one month into production to eliminate the compass in the mirror but all documentation indicated that was a standard feature. We got them to retrofit it at no cost. I am just using that as an example that there are at times changes in the cars during the production year.

It also might make sense to try a HD FM station. Is that any different than the CD? They should have the same frequency and dynamic range. If that sounds better there could be a problem with the audio part of the DVD player.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Ours sounds great. Much nicer than the standard system in our Q5 which until now I thought sounded pretty good.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I decided to get more aggressive with the settings as I am not used to having to adjust much from neutral settings on high end stereos. But I was able to achieve a much better sound than I've had. I still don't think it sounds as good as the H/K system in my Mini Cooper, but it's much improved. I'm thinking that since the A3 is an entry level Audi, the B&O is entry level as well and probably sounds better in the sedan with the subwoofer and solid roof.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Based on our discussion I wanted to get some more info about the differences between the A3 sedan and A3 cab with B & O system. The cab is covered at A3 | CABRIOLET - Bang & Olufsen and the sedan is covered at https://www.bang-olufsen.com/car-aud...6947E2523B.pdf

From lack of mention of sub on the Cab and one less speaker I assume it does not have one. The cab has an amp channel for each speaker and the sedan has one for each except for the sub that has two channels devoted to it. On either sedan or cab they are considered active speakers with dedicated amps.

One thing I appreciate about the B & O sound system is its ability to still sound clean when driving with the top down at 75+ speed with the system playing quite loudly. To me at high volumes it sounds cleaner than my last convertible that had a Dyneaudio sound system with similar amp power and sounds radically better than the two convertibles I had that had H-K systems. The Dyneaudio system did however have a little stronger bass as it used vented ports in the lower door panel speakers. Frankly with lack of a sub on the cab, B & O should have thought of adding a port. If tuned correctly it can create more balanced bass output without hurting distortion.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only Bang & Olufsen label my Cabriolet has is on the large door speakers. Also, those speakers have strip lighting which looks cool. I don't know if the non-Bang & Olufsen cars have that.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the bass is set at approx +2 and the treble is at +2. Is it supposed to say Bang and Olufsen anywhere on the MMI screen like this picture I found on Google: (I know it's not an A3)

Also, I don't have a subwoofer setting, but I'm not sure the Cabrio has subs.

The Cabriolet is definitely different than the Sedan. Here is what mine looks like:

When the volume is at 25 the mirrors start shaking and you can feel the music in your chest. Hard to describe. This is probably the best stereo I've ever had in a car. I bought the car used so thank God it came with the car. Also, I did own a Mini Cooper and there is no comparison.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aem421
The Cabriolet is definitely different than the Sedan. Here is what mine looks like:

Is this picture from the sedan or cab?
Old 11-16-2016, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is this picture from the sedan or cab?
It is from the sedan. In Audi's wisdom they did not charge enough for the cab so they had to get rid of some of the standard equipment. Elimination of power seats also was one. Sub was another. Lack of magnetic suspension is a third.

I expect to pay more for a convertible but based on what I have seen with eliminations to preserve the bottom line I am not a happy camper. Why should I pay more for the car and get less?

At least on the cab they responded about reinstating power seats with standard interior.

Maybe if enough of us complain they will add the sub woofer and magnetic suspension.

I do think that Audi does a lot of things right, but some of the things IMO they do wrong may affect my next choice of a car. Putting that into perspective I am a convertible person. I do not consider anything else.

I do fully enjoy my car. It has some faults, but I am glad I bought it. Some of the faults are omissions. I have not made up my mind on the next one and that is a ways off.I think that Audi should consider the fact that cab customers are not second class customers.

Last edited by BobMar46; 11-16-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird question about B&O sytem