Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Well, I think I'm done with the S3

Old 04-27-2016, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
arU4ic; Great thread and you make valid points. Besides a thicker rear sway, there is another option which has helped me. Brace. I installed an underbody brace from Unibrace and it has reduced rear end twitchiness considerably! Unibrace also offers an X brace that bolts between the rear shock mounts right behind the back seat. I considered that option but feel the handling is OK at this point. Better anyway. I'm still looking at a thicker rear sway for better turn in however. Underbody brace is a quality product and easy install. Immediate results. Less flex. Very noticeable. Really reduced that nervous tendency to step out of line.
Thanks Fix, sounds interesting, can you maybe explain why you went this route over a bar?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, like you arU4ic, the A3 has an incredibly amount of unnerving rear end behavior on the non-sport suspension - it was HORRIBLE. I hated that I'd have to brake on a reasonable on-ramp/corner to feel confident in this car... that has AWD! My older FWD handled far better...

I immediately knew I had to change this - this is where the Bilsteins B16 Ride Control came into play. Not saying you need to get these coilovers, but literally anything will improve and eliminate this "squirrely" behavior. After I installed these coilovers, I can take any corner/bank at any speed without worry about the back end any longer.

To save cost, I'd look into just a rear sway bar, which is pretty cheap and relatively easy to install. This will keep both tires on the ground which will also eliminate this bad behavior.

Personally the Unibrace will not help as the frame is pretty stiff - its just the car has a problem with back end suspension.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mroberte
FWIW, like you arU4ic, the A3 has an incredibly amount of unnerving rear end behavior on the non-sport suspension - it was HORRIBLE. I hated that I'd have to brake on a reasonable on-ramp/corner to feel confident in this car... that has AWD! My older FWD handled far better...

I immediately knew I had to change this - this is where the Bilsteins B16 Ride Control came into play. Not saying you need to get these coilovers, but literally anything will improve and eliminate this "squirrely" behavior. After I installed these coilovers, I can take any corner/bank at any speed without worry about the back end any longer.

To save cost, I'd look into just a rear sway bar, which is pretty cheap and relatively easy to install. This will keep both tires on the ground which will also eliminate this bad behavior.

Personally the Unibrace will not help as the frame is pretty stiff - its just the car has a problem with back end suspension.
Good points. I also drive in the city, crappy roads are rough when you put bars in, coilovers are good call IF they handle the problem. Sounds like they have for you.

At this point, I think I wanna hand the car over to 'guy' and say 'fix this, here's a blank check.' That's just where I'm at... almost the perfect Audi, almost. Honestly, the S4 had more issues that would be more expensive to resolve.

I also don't know what impact custom sus work will have on any future repair claims.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sound like you wanted a very specific car for a very specific reason. I'm assuming you didn't spend much time test driving
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
You sound like you wanted a very specific car for a very specific reason. I'm assuming you didn't spend much time test driving
I test drove, as much as I can with a dealer in the car. Like I said, my complaint was when the car gets fast.