Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Whats your opinion on wheel/tire storage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats your opinion on wheel/tire storage?

Whats your opinion on winter/summer wheel/tire storage procedures?

I read the tips suggesting to keep them out of the sunlight, wrap them in air tight plastic bags to slow down the rubber oil dissipation and other tips/suggestions.

I want to store my winter/summer tire wheels when I swap them out each season in my garage, placing them in a tire rack mounted to the wall like the one pictured.

My garage can get as cold as 30 during the winter months and 80+ during some hot summer days.

I get that tires are subjected to these temperatures while on a car but they fair better when driven on as opposed to stored.

Am I over thinking this? Will it be fine to store the wheels in the garage as opposed to my basement?

Last edited by drober30; 02-23-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a huge storage garage at my folks. i keep them on a wooden pallet, which has a smooth sheet of wood on top of it. I let out air, to about 15-20 psi.

If I had them at my home, my 2 car garage is tight. I would probably trek them down to my storage room in my basement, where I have the space to keep them flat on a pallet.

I know those racks you're showing me, look legit. but for some reason i just wouldn't want to risk that, hanging over my car. I would have to hang that rack really high up, to keep it out of the way... that is 200lbs or so, which isn't a huge deal if it's installed right!- i know. i know. just I'd be nervous. especially with kids and/or wife, etc.

I wouldn't mind the temp change at all.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Ryan!

I decided to get tire totes and just store them in my basement. My garage is insulated and does not get below 30 degrees but from what I have read, the summer tires I will be storing can become brittle and are prone to cracking in extreme cold temperatures (20 degrees or colder).

I too did not like the idea of storing stuff over my car but I had other options/location in the garage to mount the rack. I have no concerns with the integrity of the rack when mounted with some decent lag bolts.

Anyways, I might as well store them in the basement if I can. Just need to make room because our basement is finished and storage is at a premium.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
Thanks Ryan!

I decided to get tire totes and just store them in my basement. My garage is insulated and does not get below 30 degrees but from what I have read, the summer tires I will be storing can become brittle and are prone to cracking in extreme cold temperatures (20 degrees or colder).

I too did not like the idea of storing stuff over my car but I had other options/location in the garage to mount the rack. I have no concerns with the integrity of the rack when mounted with some decent lag bolts.

Anyways, I might as well store them in the basement if I can. Just need to make room because our basement is finished and storage is at a premium.
oh crap. i need to move my tires to the basement. they've been in my garage for the past month in large garbage bags. didn't realize the cold weather could affect them so.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got mine washed, dried, bagged, and stacked in the basement away from anything that generates ozone.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Penn Dutch
I've got mine washed, dried, bagged, and stacked in the basement away from anything that generates ozone.
They are washed already and in bags. The dealer put my winters on my car before I took delivery of my car. They just need to be moved to the basement. Will be on my to do list today. haha
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Penn Dutch
Exactly everything I read to do!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, washed and dried are key,
for many reasons.... the best reason is - they are ready to rock n' roll on that nice spring morning LOL!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use the 'tire tote' it's a genuine Audi accessory.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I just use the 'tire tote' it's a genuine Audi accessory.
I washed all my tires last night and they are safe and sound in the house, I swear the look happier!

I ordered the tire totes, they will be nice to use.

Quick Reply: Whats your opinion on wheel/tire storage?