Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

When Dynamic drive mode isn't really Dynamic drive mode...

Old 12-06-2016, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

He means use the console shift lever to change to S mode after a restart. Although he's incorrect about the default start up modes - both the engine and transmission begin in D mode. When you change the shifter to S mode, they both revert to S/Dynamic mode.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Civuck
interesting link - thanks.

Although it seems my understanding of Auto mode was completely wrong. It's just a label as opposed to being literal in function. I thought it might have some sort of active processing that would adjust certain drive qualities automatically. It seems it's just a static bank of values like Comfort or Dynamic.
Audi probably should have called it Normal and not Auto. That's really what it is. Auto uses a set of parameters that are most geared towards daily driving. Comfort is intended for long highway journeys and Dynamic for sport driving. As pointed out above, engine and transmission don't even differentiate between comfort and auto.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A somewhat opposite question, is there a quick way to back to auto (D) mode from S, other than going back into to the menu to select auto?
Old 12-08-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CHCCubs
A somewhat opposite question, is there a quick way to back to auto (D) mode from S, other than going back into to the menu to select auto?
Not that I am aware of but you can assign Drive Select to that asterisk button on the steering wheel for a bit more convenience.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by CHCCubs
Yes, you just pull back on the shift lever again, but again that just affects engine/transmission. Everything else stays in the current Drive Select mode and you have to change the Drive Select mode to put everything back to auto.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, you just pull back on the shift lever again, but again that just affects engine/transmission. Everything else stays in the current Drive Select mode and you have to change the Drive Select mode to put everything back to auto.
Perfect that's what I was looking for. It's only the the engine/trans I was wondering about as I've been using the default auto mode when in traffic on my daily commute but like to pop it into S mode when traffic opens up and be able to put it back into auto once traffic backs up again.

Search this Thread