Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Why do the dash vents blow out cold air with the heat on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why do the dash vents blow out cold air with the heat on?

It's about to get warm but one of my major peaves about the S3/A3's ventilation system is that the dash vents always blow out cold air. It's 30 degrees outside, I have the heat on, and the center dash vents in blowing out cold air. WTF? I turned on the heat. What I do at that point is turn the ring to the right and turn off all the dash vents. Why does Audi think that someone would want cold frigid air blown into their face, in cold weather, with the heat on? This is the worst complaint that I have about the car so far. Doesn't make sense.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact opposite issue. Its 80 degrees here and when I turn the AC on LO with the AC button ON, it blows warm air for like 10 minutes. It will eventually get ice cold but, dammit I want it cold NOW. When my car has been baking all day outside even with ceramic tint, its hot as hell.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
It's about to get warm but one of my major peaves about the S3/A3's ventilation system is that the dash vents always blow out cold air. It's 30 degrees outside, I have the heat on, and the center dash vents in blowing out cold air. WTF? I turned on the heat. What I do at that point is turn the ring to the right and turn off all the dash vents. Why does Audi think that someone would want cold frigid air blown into their face, in cold weather, with the heat on? This is the worst complaint that I have about the car so far. Doesn't make sense.
Maybe you have a damper/mixer problem? I don't experience that at all.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Its a problem. I'll have to wait until next year to bring it to them. Or hope that it's cold when I bring it to them this Saturday.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 03-26-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I could see this when the sun is beating down on car and its maybe 40 to 50 degrees out. Heat to the floor and fresh air to the console. At lower temps you wouldn't want it.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh yeah... This is with the heat in the "Auto" position.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Oh yeah... This is with the heat in the "Auto" position.
I use Auto as well - then I click both the feet and chest buttons manually.

So I guess, that's semi-auto....auto temp and fan, but not location.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My Porsched did the same thing - a VAG commonality?

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I could see this when the sun is beating down on car and its maybe 40 to 50 degrees out. Heat to the floor and fresh air to the console. At lower temps you wouldn't want it.
I thought the Cayenne had an issue the first time this happened but it was due to outside temps and the sunlight outside the vehicle. it was blowing warm at the feet and cool at the dash. Once I figured that out it was pretty nice really.

PS - the Cayenne had the worst heating at the floor of any vehicle I ever owned. The 'outlets' for the heat were about as big as the overhead vents on a plane. Not something I would ever notice on a test drive, but it drove me crazy every winter.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always select "Auto" and a desired temperature (70 F) on my S3's climate control and the car automatically adjusts the temperature and intensity of air coming out of vents to bring and subsequently maintain the interior temperature to/at the selected level.

We did not have cold weather since I purchased my S3 (about 1.5 months ago). I will test the system during those cold days and report back. But so far I absolutely don't see any problems with the climate control on S3.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I always select "Auto" and a desired temperature (70 F) on my S3's climate control and the car automatically adjusts the temperature and intensity of air coming out of vents to bring and subsequently maintain the interior temperature to/at the selected level.

We did not have cold weather since I purchased my S3 (about 1.5 months ago). I will test the system during those cold days and report back. But so far I absolutely don't see any problems with the climate control on S3.
Thanks I'm bringing the car in for an oil change tmrw morning and it will be cold. I'm gonna let them know about the cold-air. I"ll keep everyone posted.

Quick Reply: Why do the dash vents blow out cold air with the heat on?