Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Windshield Needs Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Needs Replacing

I took a rock hit and now the windshield is developing a crack. Any of you who have had a windshield replaced, what should i be watching for? It is my intent to get an Audi windshield vs some 3rd party version. I have a 2015 A3 Cab and my major concern is the rain sensing and the antenna in the windshield.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ask your local Audi dealer who they use.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Back a few years ago over a period of 24 months I needed three windshield replacements on three different cars. All were done by a one location independent glass and ragtop re-placer company. None were done with OEM glass. One of the three was a car (non Audi) that had rain sensing wipers. On the last, or any of the others I had no issues with non OEM replacement. It did not make a difference in trade in value on any of the cars.

No matter what you get and who you have do it, expect the replacement to be close to twice as expensive because of the rain sensing.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately Florida insurance rules are such that the insurance company must cover the whole expense and there is no deductible. USAA did not balk at my requesting an OEM windshield. That is possible with same year or one year old cars. I qualified with the car being a 2015.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I could have used that when I went through 3, although if I can remember only one would have been covered and it was not the one with rain sensing wipers. Here they used to cover repairs (filling before the chip starts spreading) but that even is not covered anymore. I suppose technically both are covered, but if less than deductible nothing is paid. Even the one with rain sensing was less than my deductible.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Many insurance policies have 100% glass coverage if you use their contracted installer. You can insist that the insurance company cover it using OEM glass. It will always be sourced from an Audi dealer. Be sure the installer orders and uses a new rain sensor pad or your rain sensor may not work after the replacement. Also, if you have ACC or Presense front, so long as the installer carefully removes and replaces the camera housing, there should be no need to have the system realigned. I had my windshield replaced last summer with OEM glass after prodding the insurance company with no problems.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BobMar46
I could have used that when I went through 3, although if I can remember only one would have been covered and it was not the one with rain sensing wipers. Here they used to cover repairs (filling before the chip starts spreading) but that even is not covered anymore. I suppose technically both are covered, but if less than deductible nothing is paid. Even the one with rain sensing was less than my deductible.
There is no special windshield for rain sensing wipers. There is a black, inexpensive, stick-on pad that is installed on the inside of the glass in front of the rear view/camera housing. This pad determines the amount of rain droplets on the glass to activate the wipers.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can say from experience that not all insurance companies will approve OEM glass.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shtaka
I can say from experience that not all insurance companies will approve OEM glass.
No doubt. There is no downside in pushing them though. I was told that I must use an aftermarket glass or pay the difference for OEM. I responded that I had an expensive, luxury car and insisted that only OEM glass should be used. After a few hours, they called back and told me it was approved. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.