Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

does your car have any electrical gremlins?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does your car have any electrical gremlins?

have sparatic issues with the fuel gauge reading empty on start up when i know their is plenty of fuel, the miles till empty displays correct info however.

CEL will light up around 1/4 tank if i use something other than chevron gas. this only started after i moved from OK to OR.

i really think an englishmen was working in ingolstat on the friday my car was built.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

None here
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: does your car have any electrical gremlins?

Yes. Radio power shuts off on it own. Not as often since the weather cooled down.
I would be in the middle of driving and it will just go off. I hit the volumn button and it comes back on. Doesn't happen very often.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oetzi
Yes. Radio power shuts off on it own. Not as often since the weather cooled down.
I would be in the middle of driving and it will just go off. I hit the volumn button and it comes back on. Doesn't happen very often.
and I thought I was the only one. my radio seems to do the possessed on off thing just after start up but can't seem to figure out when. maybe when starting out in Sport rather than D but nothing definite yet
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only problem I've had is that when the engine is warm and I turn the ignition to start the car it doesn't start. I have to turn the key back to the off position and then try again. It always starts on the second try and seems to be happening somewhat more frequently as the weather warms up. Maybe it's not electrical, but it seems like it is to me.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default does your car have any electrical gremlins?

I've had the fuel gauge thing once.

There seems to be another gremlin related to the warning that you left the lights on, key in the ignition door open.

I know the logic that surrounds the warnings has some quirks imposed by trying to produce multiple sounds from a single transducers.

Ex:

Flip the turn signal left or right so that starts clicking and then open the door with the lights on. The car quickly forgets about the turn signal and reminds you about either the lights or the key, I'm not sure which.

I've stolen (and exteneded ) my wife's perspective on these cars (it also extends to VWs, and we look forward to determining if Porsches share the same quirks)
'They are queer little cars, appreciate the quirks, take good care of them and they'll bring a smile to your face every time you drive them hard.'

Jack
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My electrical problems:

sometimes my car won't lock from the remote

All the time, it doesn't pair with the BT on my phone. The phone can be on, and transmitting the BT signal, but the car at start up won't pick it up unless I reinitialize the phone.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 AM

My radio switches off as well, but it's always 1 hour 1 minute of journey time of the trip computer - very strange as if there is a sleep function.
My electric windows also frequently forget the fully close of fully open option and I have to manually reset them. All the garage seems to do is "reset" the electronics.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One I have had is when I shut the car off I get a really loud *thump* sound through the speakers, like maybe the ground is messed up. Sounds like messing with the connection on a set of speakers with the volume turned way up. Sporadic, and hasn't happened as much lately. Doesn't happen right when I turn off the car, maybe when I open the door or take the key out; can't remember.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Electical gremlins

When I turn the car off, the windshield wipers 'bump.'

@ 4 years, it began illuminating the brake lights in the middle of the night. They would stay on until the battery was fully drained. I've been pulling the brake light fuse at night, but I suspect it needs the brake light switch replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: does your car have any electrical gremlins?