Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Audi A3 8L 1999 1.8T fuse 21 melted Headlight wiring diagram

Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A3 8L 1999 1.8T fuse 21 melted Headlight wiring diagram

Hi guys,

I need urgently advice on my issue... as got MOT in 2 weeks. My dipped beam headlight left side decided to stop working some time ago. Changed bulb- nothing... changed fuse (21)- nothing.... went to garage to ask guy there, he took fuse out.... and he said there was dirt.. maybe coroded? he wiped it few times and put fuse back in.. light came on.. but aftr about a week is stopped working again... I left it like tht for maybe 3 weeks, and just last weekend I went to have a loook at it, that maybe it will need better cleaning... and I seen fuse 21 melted
Name:  DSC_2795.jpg
Views: 17736
Size:  39.5 KB
... so i took it out- hradly as it was braking.. with my eyebrow tweezers and tried to sort it a bit... as you can see on second pic..
Name:  DSC_2798.jpg
Views: 25152
Size:  61.5 KB
so i was reading millions forums... but would like to knw advice when you see my photos.. of what the isue can be... im affraid if i take it to garage they will charge waaay to much... so i already got quote for new fuse box- £30 which I think is good.... but to make sure this wont happen again.. I think I mioght have to check wiring?right? im not car expert... but I wanna be was trying to find wiring diagram for left side dipped beam for my car, but I just couldnt find it anywhere... so pls pls if anyone can help with any advice, or help or diagram I appreciate it.... or maybe you think there is other audi or vw etc.. that diagram will match?
thank you guysss
Old 10-19-2020, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpietka
Hi guys,

I need urgently advice on my issue... as got MOT in 2 weeks. My dipped beam headlight left side decided to stop working some time ago. Changed bulb- nothing... changed fuse (21)- nothing.... went to garage to ask guy there, he took fuse out.... and he said there was dirt.. maybe coroded? he wiped it few times and put fuse back in.. light came on.. but aftr about a week is stopped working again... I left it like tht for maybe 3 weeks, and just last weekend I went to have a loook at it, that maybe it will need better cleaning... and I seen fuse 21 melted
Attachment 30572
... so i took it out- hradly as it was braking.. with my eyebrow tweezers and tried to sort it a bit... as you can see on second pic..
Attachment 30573
so i was reading millions forums... but would like to knw advice when you see my photos.. of what the isue can be... im affraid if i take it to garage they will charge waaay to much... so i already got quote for new fuse box- £30 which I think is good.... but to make sure this wont happen again.. I think I mioght have to check wiring?right? im not car expert... but I wanna be was trying to find wiring diagram for left side dipped beam for my car, but I just couldnt find it anywhere... so pls pls if anyone can help with any advice, or help or diagram I appreciate it.... or maybe you think there is other audi or vw etc.. that diagram will match?
thank you guysss
Answer:- I know this is an old thread, but the problem needs to be answered for others. If a fuse melts it is because, either the contacts are arcing due to oxidation or dirt on either the contacts or the fuse legs, or something is drawing high enough current to draw (close to) the maximium current thru the fuse (eg. 15A Fuse having 14.9A constantly running thru) but not quite enough to blow the fuse! - This can happen when headlights up upgraded to a higher wattage and the wiring and fuse now carry more current (Amps) than they are designed for. Fuses are designed to protect the wiring itself and thus prevent a fire, especially as 12V vehicle systems can deliver 100's of amps (Amps x Volts = Watts) 12Volt at 400A = 4.8KW of heat, thus it is dangerous to increase the value of fuses to prevent them blowing without upgrading the wiring.

74 year old Electronic Engineer - X-Ray, MRI, CT installation and service,,,,,, and I've seen most faults that electrons can produce in boats, planes, helicopters, tractors and the humble motor vehicle. Audi A3 1.8T; Jaguar XJ6; Lexus ES300; Lotus 6; Nissan Maxima, to name a few since 1964