Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

DRL Help Needed - Audi S3 8P 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Help Needed - Audi S3 8P 2009

Hi there, have just purchased a 2009 Audi S3 Sportback and have a question relating to the DRLs.

I want the DRLs on all the time at max brightness, however they only come on when I put the sidelights on or turn on the headlights. If I select AUTO they stay off until its dark and then come on with the headlights. Maybe the previous owner had them disabled?? From what I have read and researched it would appear they usually stay on all the time.

On my recently sold 2013 Polo GTI there were instructions in the manual about activating the DRLs so they were on all the time. I'm hoping theres a simple fix for these too. I don't have the manual for my new S3 :-(

Love the car! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

Just spoke to the dealer they said with facelift Japanese cars many have the DRLs but are only set to come on with the headlights lights and park lights. Apparently even with coding they generally cant get them on all the time. Does anyone know anything more about this? Thanks
Old 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got the same problem with an '08 A4. The Led's work fine, but only when selected as side lights and with the headlights. I've changed the coding in mine (in line with the accepted changes found all over the internet), but no change. Also a Japanese car originally. Will let you know if I get anywhere.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply, yes, please keep me posted am really keen to get this sorted. I'm not as tech savvy as you so havent played with the coding. I did ask the dealer but they said they haven't had any success with getting this working either.

Super keen to hear back if you to manage to get them working.

Go the All Blacks!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay, so I've got mine going, all is not lost. It was a combination of a typo on one of the coding lists and no mention (pretty much anywhere) of the main DRL on/off code reference. I don't have VCDS so it's possible that everyone thought I'd see it in the checkbox, so was too obvious to mention!
However, mine working is a good indication that the lack of DRL on Japanese cars is down to a coding change rather than any different hardware. Now just need to work out the relevant coding for the A3 (I think it has a different Body Control Module).
Old 10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome stuff! So what do I need to do in order to get them running on my S3?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I changed mine with a Ross tech. My LED's now come on with my tail lights at 100%.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same problem here on my S5 2009. Anyone knows how do I get them on without having to turn on the headlights?
Thanx
Old 09-17-2020, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help

Originally Posted by nobbie.nz
Hi there, have just purchased a 2009 Audi S3 Sportback and have a question relating to the DRLs.

I want the DRLs on all the time at max brightness, however they only come on when I put the sidelights on or turn on the headlights. If I select AUTO they stay off until its dark and then come on with the headlights. Maybe the previous owner had them disabled?? From what I have read and researched it would appear they usually stay on all the time.

On my recently sold 2013 Polo GTI there were instructions in the manual about activating the DRLs so they were on all the time. I'm hoping theres a simple fix for these too. I don't have the manual for my new S3 :-(

Love the car! Thanks in advance.

Hey this post was along time ago but I wondered if anyone had any joy turning these on?

I have the same model from japan but can’t find anything or get it sorted, any help please

thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey, yes it is possible, but you'll need to go into the coding menu, either with VCDS (expensive so best to find someone who already has one) or something like OBDeleven which worked really well for me and enabled me to do a heap of other things..
Unfortunately you won't have any joy without getting into the coding.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: DRL Help Needed - Audi S3 8P 2009