Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

DSG tranny service

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG tranny service

I have a 2009 audi A3 with the dsg tranny. I have been searching for some time online on how to do a dsg fluid change. I saw some volkswagen sites that have some instructions and videos but i haven't seen any for audi. Has anyone done this and if so can you pass along some information on it. I have plenty of tools basically I do all my mechanic work but when it gets to items like this i want to be prepared ahead of time and do all my research as possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm replying, mainly to subscribe. Mine is still under warranty, so I'm thinking dealer route, but the parts are readily available at Audi A3 Transmission Fluid Filter Change Kit - Audi DSG - 6 Speed.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I finally was able to get this done WOW it was easy. At first I made a jug using a old windshield washer fluid container all labeled from a half liter to the top which was four liters. Of course putting fluid back in was a little time consuming but no problem worked out great. I will post picture soon.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

is the filter located under the battery tray? There is a DSG flush DIY guide for the TDI car (same transmission) which shows the DSG filter under the battery tray. Can you confirm it's the location? I may tackle the job this wkend.
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cris
is the filter located under the battery tray? There is a DSG flush DIY guide for the TDI car (same transmission) which shows the DSG filter under the battery tray. Can you confirm it's the location? I may tackle the job this wkend.
Thanks!
Yes that is correct, the filter is under the battery box. Take out the intake and the battery tray. You can't miss it. How are you putting the fluid back in? I used a small funnel filling from the top. 15-20 minutes if that. Worked out fine. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Vinnie, what is the mfr-specified change interval for the DSG service?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Vinnie, what is the mfr-specified change interval for the DSG service?
I was told by a friend who is an Audi tech 30-40K miles is recommended. Now if you follow it or not that's up to you. I'm just a maintenance fanatic and i see changing the fluid as a positive thing. I am NOT a believer of life long fluid. That does NOT exist. They say life long meaning when it blows it blows it doesn't mean it can last forever. People always interpret that phrase differently. I have owned many cars and trucks in my life and i have flipped a few when i was in school and i cant tell you how many times i would get a rear end whine or a tranny that shifts hard and by changing the fluid has resolved the issue. Like i said it can only help. Do a search you will see SO MANY articles, blogs and forums with people stating there opinions but for me the right thing was to change the fluid when it is recommended.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vinniety
Yes that is correct, the filter is under the battery box. Take out the intake and the battery tray. You can't miss it. How are you putting the fluid back in? I used a small funnel filling from the top. 15-20 minutes if that. Worked out fine. Good luck!
Thanks. Planning to use the top-fill method (as you did)... I bought a funnel with a long tube to put the fluid back. I have a vag com, but read that if you do top fill, vag com is not really necessary. How long did the entire project take you - couple hrs?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cris
Thanks. Planning to use the top-fill method (as you did)... I bought a funnel with a long tube to put the fluid back. I have a vag com, but read that if you do top fill, vag com is not really necessary. How long did the entire project take you - couple hrs?
Yes a couple of hours not hard at all.