Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

No manual tranny on the new A3 :(

Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No manual tranny on the new A3 :(

Having purchased a new 1999.5 5 speed manual 1.8T A4 and a 2006 6 speed manual 2.0T I was seriously considering the new A3. It reminded me of my 99 in size and looked like a great car for my third Audi but then I read NO Manual transmission!!! WHAT!!! How could this be!!! Very disappointing. I very much enjoy the shifting fun of my Audi.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 AM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To all those complaining about the lack of a manual, your argument would be made a lot better if you explained *why* you didn't like the steptronic. This isn't the same slushbox found in the Q5, and I haven't seen too many people that have tried the steptronic and been unsatisfied with it. It's faster and more efficient than any of us.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BSW
To all those complaining about the lack of a manual, your argument would be made a lot better if you explained *why* you didn't like the steptronic. This isn't the same slushbox found in the Q5, and I haven't seen too many people that have tried the steptronic and been unsatisfied with it. It's faster and more efficient than any of us.
if cars like the Toyota IS-F or many variations of Porsche could get get away with putting a slushbox in their cars, surely a dual clutch automated manual would get more respect.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BSW
I understand the idea behind the automatic in my Q5. I'm hauling the family in that vehicle and for that type of driving and that environment, it fits. But for MY personal cars, where fun is a requirement, a manual is the only way to go. I would suggest you drive a few cars with both trannys and see if you agree with me. I have only manuals on my fun cars and that makes them more enjoyable to drive. I know the manual is alive and well in Europe.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

European countries all share the same auto safety standards. The U.S. requires that every variation of chassis, engine, and transmission undergo crash and emissions testing. This means that a manufacturer must predict enough sales of each combination to cover the testing costs and still make a profit. The percentage of manual sales of A3s has been falling in the last few years so it may not be profitable to offer it as an option.

Apparently VW sells more manual-equipped models than Audi so they can continue to make them available.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
I understand the idea behind the automatic in my Q5. I'm hauling the family in that vehicle and for that type of driving and that environment, it fits. But for MY personal cars, where fun is a requirement, a manual is the only way to go. I would suggest you drive a few cars with both trannys and see if you agree with me. I have only manuals on my fun cars and that makes them more enjoyable to drive. I know the manual is alive and well in Europe.
that's what I use to say when ABS came out, that it was part of the fun applying my skills slamming and modulating the brakes so that it doesn't lock up. Now that ABS is the way it is, I just slam it and go even harder into corners, where it is harder to control than before and more of my skills are applied.

Now if you don't have to worry about double clutching, rev matching on downshifts, you could shift alot more than usual and apply that newfound method into better lap times.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeSS
European countries all share the same auto safety standards. The U.S. requires that every variation of chassis, engine, and transmission undergo crash and emissions testing. This means that a manufacturer must predict enough sales of each combination to cover the testing costs and still make a profit. The percentage of manual sales of A3s has been falling in the last few years so it may not be profitable to offer it as an option.

Apparently VW sells more manual-equipped models than Audi so they can continue to make them available.
I would suggest, at least in Canada, that the reason there are fewer manual transmissions being sold in A3s is because you can only get them on the front wheel drive model. I would get an A4 Quattro w/MT before getting an A3 FWD. It's crazy. The new A3 sedan is about the same size as my wife's 1999 A4 w/MT and would be a perfect replacement but we only buy manual transmissions. My wife prefers a manual because she feels she has better control of the car (engine braking, etc.).

There is a petition that was started on Jays Car Blog to bring the A3 Quattro with a manual transmission to North America. The link is below...

https://www.change.org/petitions/aud...-transmission#

Last edited by TheNit; 03-29-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LWNY
that's what I use to say when ABS came out, that it was part of the fun applying my skills slamming and modulating the brakes so that it doesn't lock up. Now that ABS is the way it is, I just slam it and go even harder into corners, where it is harder to control than before and more of my skills are applied.

Now if you don't have to worry about double clutching, rev matching on downshifts, you could shift alot more than usual and apply that newfound method into better lap times.
Modulating the brakes is fun? Well, to each his own I guess. That one I never missed. Thank goodness some companies still remember us manual drivers. I was glad to see the latest 2013 VW R was offered only with a 6 speed. Maybe they'll get my money next year.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently had a conversation about the lack of manual transmissions with the Sales manager that has sold me my last three cars.

He's a big fan of the DSG transmission and citing all of it's good points, and to be honest I understand and appreciate it's good points.
He went on mentioned that he gave a bunch of grief to the area rep he deals that recently ordered an A5 with a manual transmission.

When I buy a car I try to avoid buying a car and doing things that are going to cause me pain, agony, suffering or be expensive to maintain. Some would respond to this as question my why I buy Audi's if I'm looking to avoid all of those things.

My reasoning behind buying Audi's is they are distinctive cars offering me a level of comfort and safety that I appreciate.

I have a '99 a4 1.8t that's will turn 200k before in the next few weeks, we've spent a fair amount of money on the car to maintain it and repair things, but in general I think it has a very respectable reliability record. Then again I'm biased, and may overlook or forget about things because I really like Audis.

At this point in time I don't think the DSG has been around long enough to prove that it will 200k miles with nothing more than (very expensive) fluid changes.

I hope that in 3-5 years I hope that Audi stll offers cars with a manual transmission.

Jack
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheNit
I would suggest, at least in Canada, that the reason there are fewer manual transmissions being sold in A3s is because you can only get them on the front wheel drive model. I would get an A4 Quattro w/MT before getting an A3 FWD. It's crazy. The new A3 sedan is about the same size as my wife's 1999 A4 w/MT and would be a perfect replacement but we only buy manual transmissions. My wife prefers a manual because she feels she has better control of the car (engine braking, etc.).

There is a petition that was started on Jays Car Blog to bring the A3 Quattro with a manual transmission to North America. The link is below...

https://www.change.org/petitions/aud...-transmission#
My wife would love an A3 quattro. In a TDI. And, unlike most of the posters on this thread, in DSG.
Course, given how long we keep cars, her next one will be about 2020, so I doubt Audi will make current marketing decisions based on selling to her. Oh, well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No manual tranny on the new A3 :(