Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

How to change the oil on an Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change the oil on an Audi A3

Im new here, but I thought I could share some detailed info.
I have looked everywhere for instructions but to my dismay its a nerd fest with little instruction or instructions that if you know what you are doing are great, but if not ever looking under a hood of an Audi they can be very confusing.
Here we go.

This is for a 2006 Audi A3.
I found paying 130$ for someone to change my oil is quite substantial and thought I would try it myself.

First step:
Warm the car for at least Five minutes.
Pull car up on some blocks to raise it up.
Unscrew the twelve bolts that hold the "front" bottom engine cover off of the bottom of the car.
Here you will be able to see the oil filter in all its splendor.
Look literally twelve inches to the rear and you will see a silver oil pan with a hex screw facing the rear 19mm.

Second Step: Place oil pan and oil catcher underneath. Unscrew the oil drain bolt. Hint, if you leave the oil cap on in the engine compartment the oil will not spill out so bad. Once you get the oil drain bolt out, come out of underneath the car, fix your hair and unscrew the oil cap in the engine compartment to help completely drain the oil - go have a beer...

Third Step: After your beer the oil should be drained. Unscrew the oil protective cap on the bottom and push to the side. If you do not have the Audi oil filter drain tool no worries, its just a little more messy. Unscrew the oil filter, watch out! tons of oil is going to spill out, be prepared and it wont be so bad...

Fourth Step: Replace filter in the oil filter cartridge, replace the O ring as well, make sure you rub a bit of oil on the O ring first. Screw it back on hand tight with a little nudge at the end with a wrench, but dont wrench it on, it will be to tight and a bear to get off next time.

Fifth step: Put new synthetic 10/30 oil in. It takes roughly 4.5 bottles to get this done.

Sixth Step: if you spilled some oil on your track house yuppie headquarters drive way dont you despair. Simple Green is the cats meow; just wipe oil, spray simple green full strength, let it sit five minutes or so then scrub pretty hard and it cleans everything right up. The dolphins will thank you next time you are visiting the Bahamas with your girlfriend - how rad would that be...

Presto, you are done and saved yourself roughly $60.00 and now you are a real man, not some metro sexual scarf wearing designer jean coffee house Audi driver - how does it feel - pretty damned good....
Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the info! I'm sure it's greatly appreciated by all here!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And how does that make us females who change our own oil feel? Certainly not manly
Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Important item left out . . .

You failed to mention what type of beer should be consumed? Perhaps a Doppelbock, or maybe an Altbier?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
kgw
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for the hijack. . .April, I remember you mentioning a vw/audi shop in the Huntington Beach area that you gave high marks for competence. Can you post the info again? My warranty just expired, and while I do as much as I can, sometimes you need an expert wrencher!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hahaha - I was drinking a beer from the brewery Ballast Point, A little pint of their Big Eye IPA - yum...

Since the oil change I have had to replace my entire fuel system and it still doesnt drive correctly, these cars are absolute junk in my opinion - unbelievable!