Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Nav+ (RNS-E) and Bluetooth Retrofit: single-DIN to double-DIN conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! It is crazy how expensive it was to change it to Double DIN compare to now a days.

I'm thinking about getting a double DIN unit with android. There is a huge growing community for developers to get more out of the head unit at XDA forums.

$189 perk of OctaCore Android head unit for … | Android Auto | XDA Forums
Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for your detailed description in the original post, I followed your guidelines today to remove & replace a "chopped-up" single DIN from a Japanese import with a Japanese language NAV - toughest part as you said was removing the current cage.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default links don't work

Links to adapter don't work. Does anyone know where I can get the adapter ? In my 8P A3 I'm going from single DIN audi concert non-bose radio to double DIN Audi RNS-e. I already have double din cage, rns-e, card drawer, hazard, climate control etc...Only stuff i'm missing is Audi concert to RNS-e adapter, GPS antenna, Bluetooth unit, microphone.
Back up camera and wiring if these units came with it.
Any links/Help is appreciated

Any working links to the radio adapter to work with non-BOSE, GPS antenna and Radio antenna adapter ?
The following users liked this post:
aku.jmer (03-28-2023)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you find a part out that came double din you can get everything that way. I found a part out and was able to get just about everything.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Juned1990
Can any one in London (UK) do this for me? I'll pay £100. I have all the parts. Double din cage and buttons. All i need is someone to fit the cage, buttons, my navigation system and trim the climate control. Email me on: juned90@hotmail.co.uk if anyone can do this. I will travel to you if you are in london
If you find a part out that came double din you can get everything that way. I found a part out and was able to get just about everything.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just want to add a few things of note here... even though the number of people doing this is a far cry from years ago.
  1. Double-DIN cage alignment. NOTE... that this cage doesn't have a 100% fixed position. There is some play in it. So... the cage can end up misaligned by a small amount, yet the screws will still fit. I know this first hand... because I went through a MULTI-DAY arduous effort to do this conversion, then when putting in the A/C climate control unit, I noticed a slight gap on one side. I then put in the supplementary switches and... slightly slanted. Yep, confirmed. the f*** cage is out of alignment. Thankfully I hadn't assembled the glove box yet, so I removed CC & switches, loosened screws, then finagled it. Wasn't easy, but I got it to like 99% aligned. This is something that should have been stressed in the DIY.
  2. Guard against screw loss. Holes, gaps, & crevices abound as you remove the transmission shift plate & ashtray module parts. These are "black holes" for any screws you might drop. It makes good sense to lay down a thin sufficiently long cloth/rag/towel over those crevices and/or tape up holes. As I was working on this, I was distracted for a moment, and when going for seating a screw that I wasn't accessible enough for 2 fingers, I used my screwdriver that required an attachment defeating the magnetic feature. I slipped... and the screw plummeted down into the bowels of the car, irretrievable.Thankfully I had an extra screw.
This whole process was such a major PITA. In retrospect, I feel like I should've just paid someone to do it.

Last edited by absoluTT A3; 10-17-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

With Nav powered on, push "NAV". Then push and preserve the top left quadrant transfer for five seconds service. Then press the top right quadrant transfer until the display screen adjustments. If not anything happens, begin over and make sure to maintain button for as a minimum five seconds.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have removed and replaced my radio in my 2008 A4 and now the temp control unit will not power up , i have checked all the fuses and purchased a new temp control unit and ,,still wont power up ,please can someone help its hot here in Florida with no air