Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Rear leg room in A3.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear leg room in A3.

I am thinking about replacing my B6 Avant 3.0 with the Sportback 3.2 quattro some time next year.

I just spent an hour trying to find rear seat interior dimensions for the Sportback. Specifically rear headroom, rear leg room and rear shoulder/hip room.

I realize that rear seat in A3 is rather cramped and nothing to rave about but pleeease....Even audi.de does not show it.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Elder Member

Default FYI, there is more rear leg room in the A3 than in my B6 Avant.

Didn't believe it at first until I saw it for myself and sat back there.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default go and try it yourself...

Owners are saying there's more room than in the B6. Myself, I've tried one with OpenSky and found that pushing the driver seat all the way back, it's still cramped. I'm 6.1" though and usually don't carry similar persons in my car. Further, since I had to seat up, the head room was about 1" and the rear headrest was about my shoulder level.
So, think about whom you're going to carry in the back, your height if you drive, and other options like the OpenSky that reduces the head room. While you can adjust the rear headrests, those might obstruct your rear view if raised too much.
That's still better than the A4, where with my driver seat pushed all the way back there's like 4" left for leg room in the back.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the specs at home...

I got them directly from AoA PR since they are not listed in any of the tech specs.

I don't recall them off the top of my head, but the rear leg room is MORE than the B7 A4, by .5 an inch or so - although head & shoulder room are less than the A4, so it will seam tighter for adults.

Overall, if I remember correctly, overall interior room is nearly identical to the A4. And AoA has even stated that the interior volumn is about on par with the B5 A4 Avant.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Elder Member

Default I can see if you've got the seat all the way back that it could get cramped back there.

But, I'm only 5'7". In my normal driving position, my daughter has a lot more room for her legs while she's in her booster seat than she did with my B6 Avant.

It won't be A6-roomy, but it's definitely more leg room than the B6 A4. As for head room, I think it's almost a push, maybe with the A3 being a tad lower. But we don't have any tall people in the family, so it didn't figure into the equation for us. :-)
Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you're right, but I'm kind of tall :)

For other people, sure is more room back there. I also like to slant the back support so my arms are almost straight to the steering wheel, which also cuts some of the back space.
However, when I carry others on the pass. seat and the back of it, with the pass. seat moved a little forward, maybe 3-4", there's enough leg room for normal people in the back.
It all depends on whom you carry in the back.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:00 AM

Default or my b5 A4 sedan.

A3 might not be as wide but nobody ever puts 3 people back there for any duration. So the legroom really is the most important aspect... oh and the rear windows are the all the way down sort which is nice.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I sat in A3 yesterday and...

I do not think there is any more legroom than in A4. I'd say it is about the same. This is why I wanted to see the actual figures to compare. The A4 wheel base is 3 inches longer than A3 (104" vs 101"). The front leg room is about the same in both (41.3") so the rear legroom in A4 could not possibly be smaller (A4 is based on B5 Passat platform and A3 on VW Golf).

Also, the head room in B6 Avant is definitely higher. It has overhead molding in the ceiling.

Still, why Audi chosen not to publish A3 rear seat room info on its web site ?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default the difference is the cutout in the backs of the seats...

there's definitely more room for my legs in the back of an A3 than our B6 A4 but IMHO it's due to the cutouts on the seatbacks of the A3.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Elder Member

Default That's really strange.

Hate to sound argumentative, but the fact is I took my daughter to school daily in my B6 Avant and I take her to school daily now in my A3.

In my normal, comfortable driving position in both cars, she definitely has more room for her legs and feet in the A3 than she did in the A4. Plain and simple. She can hop out of her booster and still have plenty of room to maneuver, whereas in the B6, she didn't.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to, but B6 vs A3, A3 has more leg room. No question.

Quick Reply: Rear leg room in A3.