Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 > Audi A3 / S3 / RS3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Audi A3 / S3 / RS3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Remove front license plate panel/filler plate?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default Remove front license plate panel/filler plate?

What is involved to replace the filler plate with a license plate bracket on the front of a 2012 A3? TIA
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 89897
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 894
Default

From the pics on ECS Tuning site, it appears to snap into place. To remove, you'll need access from behind the grille to undo the clips.

2009+ front plate filler


2008 and earlier are easier to install/remove. Held on with plastic tabs up top and couple of screws on the bottom.
__________________

Used to have:
- '01 Audi TT Coupe(180hp quattro)
- '93 VW Corrado SLC (still my favorite)
- '82 VW Scirocco
Gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 76
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettysburg View Post
From the pics on ECS Tuning site, it appears to snap into place. To remove, you'll need access from behind the grille to undo the clips.

2009+ front plate filler


2008 and earlier are easier to install/remove. Held on with plastic tabs up top and couple of screws on the bottom.
The OP wants to go the other way.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3-Qua...ille/ES457290/
__________________
Now:
2012 A3 2.0Tq
Then:
'06 M3
'06 A3 2.0T
'76 Beetle
'99.5 A4 1.8T qms
'92 Corrado VR6
'87 GTI 16V
'83 GTI
'79 Rabbit
'77 Rabbit
'75 Beetle
'65 Beetle

Last edited by MikeSS; 02-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Thanks much. It also appears to me that access from the rear is necessary. Do you (or anyone else) know how to gain access? Does the upper portion of the grill have to be removed to get to the clips?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettysburg View Post
From the pics on ECS Tuning site, it appears to snap into place. To remove, you'll need access from behind the grille to undo the clips.

2009+ front plate filler


2008 and earlier are easier to install/remove. Held on with plastic tabs up top and couple of screws on the bottom.
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 89897
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSS View Post
Regardless of the direction he's going, either plate mounts the same way. The link I provided included an image of the backside of filler plate plate (w/clips)
__________________

Used to have:
- '01 Audi TT Coupe(180hp quattro)
- '93 VW Corrado SLC (still my favorite)
- '82 VW Scirocco
Gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettysburg View Post
Regardless of the direction he's going, either plate mounts the same way. The link I provided included an image of the backside of filler plate plate (w/clips)
Thanks for the link/pic. Do you know the easiest/quickest way to gain access to the clips? Is it by removing the upper portion of the grill, and if so, how?

TIA
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 89897
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 894
Default

My guess is the front bumper cover(w/grille) would have to come off. Hidden fastening points may look great, but it sucks when you need to access them.
__________________

Used to have:
- '01 Audi TT Coupe(180hp quattro)
- '93 VW Corrado SLC (still my favorite)
- '82 VW Scirocco
Gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettysburg View Post
My guess is the front bumper cover(w/grille) would have to come off. Hidden fastening points may look great, but it sucks when you need to access them.
Thanks. Hopefully someone who has done the job will chime in.
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 232403
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Default Front plate

any idea if those directions are still good for the 2011-12 years?
2011A3QUATTROSLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 232403
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011A3QUATTROSLINE View Post
any idea if those directions are still good for the 2011-12 years?
meh nevermind my last. From what i gather this thread was asking how to replace it with the filler. i want to remove it all together so its just the grill with no license holder or filler plate. If you were to remove the filler plate would it be a clean grill underneath?
2011A3QUATTROSLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 190116
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 47
Default

underneath the filler it's not clean, it's euro style plate spot.
and btw the filler is held by couple screws that you see them looking up and rest clips. easy diy
__________________
audiworld lurker since 1999
EurosportAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Thank you EurosportAMG. Where are the screws that you mentioned (on a 2012A3)? Aare they behind the grill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurosportAMG View Post
underneath the filler it's not clean, it's euro style plate spot.
and btw the filler is held by couple screws that you see them looking up and rest clips. easy diy
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 215374
 
Dj Toobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 39
Default

i have a 2011. As i recalled, for the filler there are no screws, just clips. I carefully yanked it out clip by clip, without any of them breaking off. Its to replace the rings that i had to open the top of the grill to unclip the audi rings. Here the result:
Click the image to open in full size.
Dj Toobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 76
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,455
Default

What exactly did you do to change your rings? I found 3 bolts at the top but when I removed them it didn't appear that the grill was very loose. I, too, have a set of black rings I'd like to install but it looked like I needed to pull the entire bumper cover.
__________________
Now:
2012 A3 2.0Tq
Then:
'06 M3
'06 A3 2.0T
'76 Beetle
'99.5 A4 1.8T qms
'92 Corrado VR6
'87 GTI 16V
'83 GTI
'79 Rabbit
'77 Rabbit
'75 Beetle
'65 Beetle
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Thanks. Sounds good to me. Before I start yanking on it, I think I will stop by a dealership and take a look at the parts fiche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Toobs View Post
i have a 2011. As i recalled, for the filler there are no screws, just clips. I carefully yanked it out clip by clip, without any of them breaking off. Its to replace the rings that i had to open the top of the grill to unclip the audi rings. Here the result:
Click the image to open in full size.
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 230868
 
aTOMic*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Moronville, TN (middle TN)
Posts: 1,086
Default 2011 A3:

Click the image to open in full size.

From www.jimellisaudiparts.com

Order from the forum sponsor http://www.audiusaparts.com/(which also has a site like that) and is much cheaper.

-Tom
__________________
I'm in love with my car!
aTOMic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Thank you very much. It does indeed appear to be snapped in place! I just sent a note to AudiUSAParts.com. Thanks also for the referral.QUOTE=aTOMic*;24277091]Click the image to open in full size.

From www.jimellisaudiparts.com

Order from the forum sponsor http://www.audiusaparts.com/(which also has a site like that) and is much cheaper.

-Tom[/QUOTE]
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 215374
 
Dj Toobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSS View Post
What exactly did you do to change your rings? I found 3 bolts at the top but when I removed them it didn't appear that the grill was very loose. I, too, have a set of black rings I'd like to install but it looked like I needed to pull the entire bumper cover.
Besides the screws, i believe their are also clips that hold down the grill, on top that also need to be removed. Then carefully you pull the grill outwards just enough to stick your and in there and unclip the rings.
__________________
2011- A3 Titanium
Dj Toobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 233191
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks Ben for posting that diagram! That can be helpful!! Im looking to get a filler plate here soon
JaseZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 221870
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseZilla View Post
Thanks Ben for posting that diagram! That can be helpful!! Im looking to get a filler plate here soon
It wasn't me but I too appreciate the diagram.
Ben
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2000, 2011, a3, audi, auti, bracket, filler, fillers, front, license, pane, plate, remove, romoving, tt


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community