Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 07-29-2016, 10:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Steering wheel / Power Steering question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel / Power Steering question

Hi all,

I have a question about power steering system of 2006 Audi A3.

I noticed that when I have parked the car on totally flat surface, put it on Park and switch off the engine, the steering wheel turns very slightly left by itself, like going to its "normal" position or something... When I start the engine then, the steering wheel goes back to the position it was before I switch the engine off (turns a little right by itself). During that test, I have not pressed the brakes or touched anything except the ignition key...
Do you think I should check the steering angle assistant sensor for alignment with the VAG-COM and most importantly how do I find what kind is my sensor? Also where can I find more technical information about the power steering system? I just want to go to the mechanic prepared. I know I need to change a front right bearing, but it should not affect this situation...

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know a lot about the power steering system, except that it's a servotronic steering assist and it cost me a small fortune to replace about 5 months ago. i would run a scan, couldn't hurt but im thinking the slight adjustment of the steering wheel when you turn it off may be from the power being cut and everything coming to rest as the system shuts down. is this something that just recently started or has it always occurred since you've owned the vehicle?