Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

08' Porsche Turbo to RS5?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
HA, yeah, I understand that in Cali people won't blink at anything less than an R8 but I live in Chicago and imagine the number of nice cars cruising around is much less around here. Winter is a bitch and challenges us car-nuts to try and not destroy our cars during those months (potholes, road salt, etc).
Exactly - no Audi less than an R8 will get you noticed in coastal CA.

I used to live in NJ, so I know what you're talking about. My cars looked worse after 3 years there than after 10 years in CA, and I had no interest in owning a really nice car there because I didn't have a place to store it for the winter.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saltwater1
Wow - thanks for the responses guys!

Took a Demo RS5 for spin today - really impressive for such a heavy car. The sound was really sweet - I couldn't stop doing the manual down shift!!! It's certainly not in the same league as the Turbo from an acceleration point of view - the butt dyno doesn't lie!

Loved pretty much everything about the car with the exception that it doesn't come with adaptive suspension? I really like this feature on the Porsche. I see you can get it as an option in Europe? I played around with the different driving modes a bit - it's a nice feature that would only be better if the suspension changed as well. From what I could tell - all it does is change the assist on the steering and the throttle map?
Yep, pretty much spot on. Wish the RS5 had the adaptive suspension too. Good buddy of mine was about to pull the trigger on an RS5 but decided the ride was too harsh for it to be his daily driver. Even went so far as to look at an aftermarket coil over suspension but in the end, no dice. The NA V8 is peaky with its power, in that you have to get it above 3k before things start to get interesting. Its an excuse to rev it up and enjoy the sounds. But you are denied the initial push when launching the car.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi knew that continuing the V8 S5 will eat into the RS5 market, so they stopped making the V8 for the S5. Removing the V8 in the S5 just before rolling out the RS5 was no coincidence. So, I do not agree the V8 S5 was an artificial differentiation from the 4-cylinder A5, but the V6 S5 is another story since both the V6 supercharger and 4-cylinder turbos are not naturally aspirated engines.

Originally Posted by superswiss
Here's a link to all the engine trims of the A5 on audi.de. You get S-tronic and everything. As I stated before, Audi "S" models these days are simply an engine trim with a bit more focus on Sport. In the US market Audi is artificially differentiating the A5 from the S5 in order to not cannibalize sales.

http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa...or/benzin.html
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
Then just get the S5 which is already supercharged... Or wait for the next-gen B9 RS5 which is expected to be a twin-turbo V6. I don't think the current RS5 makes sense quite frankly - way too heavy (particularly in the front), unimpressive torque, lack of adaptive suspension, etc. It should all be addressed in the next-gen RS5.

For something that's available sooner, I would just get the new BMW M3 or M4 unless you really need AWD. The weight reduction on those is amazing, engine with great specs, handling is expected to be superb, etc.
Couple things to point out, the motor in the RS5 has forged internals, the S5 motors are not, with that said, the RS5 can be boosted to much higher HP/TQ levels. I got my RS5 down to 4000 which is a pretty good weight for a car with AWD and 550HP at the wheels (supercharged of course). The car goes to 60 in about 3.5 or so and I'm certain it will run 10s in the 1/4 with the SC. So all in all, if you are looking for aftermarket power, the RS5 certainly has the potential. Plus me personally, I'm a huge fan of an air suspension which IMO would solve any "harsh" road conditions... To each their own of course.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Weird... Never happened to me in NorCal, and I've driven all over the place in my S5. Also, I think only Audi aficionados would notice the subtle differences between A5/S5/RS5 or care. The R8 is something special which is very noticeable, so I can see how it would get attention.

By the way, I'm still waiting to encounter any women who care much about cars or would drool over an RS5... I'm not saying they don't exist, but I'm yet to meet one. All the women I know have pretty much zero interest in that, find it boring, and consider guys showing off in sporty cars to be silly. Just my experience...
My experience is that many women love my red S5. They speak about it like I speak about a woman I am smitten with.

BTW the S5 is not seen as a Corvette or Porsche. It is seen as something different. So boy racer does not apply.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol, my wife is a total gear head, her and i both drooled over an RS5 we saw last Nov at a showroom in Florida. That one was already spoken for though..
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
Audi knew that continuing the V8 S5 will eat into the RS5 market, so they stopped making the V8 for the S5. Removing the V8 in the S5 just before rolling out the RS5 was no coincidence. So, I do not agree the V8 S5 was an artificial differentiation from the 4-cylinder A5, but the V6 S5 is another story since both the V6 supercharger and 4-cylinder turbos are not naturally aspirated engines.
The RS5 started as a 2010 model when the S5 Coupe still had a V8. It just didn't come here until the 2013 facelift.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Private sale is the way to go almost always... Trade-in values are inherently lousy... Some people say trying to sell the car to a dealership that sells the same brand (Porsche in your case) works better even if you don't buy a new car from them, but that hasn't been my experience. They all seem to offer black book or less, and that's typically a lot less than what you can sell it for privately if you're ok with going through the hassle.

The one thing to keep in mind is that dealers will usually apply the trade-in value BEFORE applying the sales tax. This can mean the effective reduction can be an additional 0-7% of your trade-in value. This can make a big difference in whether private sale is worth it.

I would not trade-in though if I was coming from a different brand. Dealerships can never offer as high of trade in values when they don't sell that brand, and the tax benefit on the new car is usually not enough to recover most of the delta.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sternalot1
The one thing to keep in mind is that dealers will usually apply the trade-in value BEFORE applying the sales tax. This can mean the effective reduction can be an additional 0-7% of your trade-in value. This can make a big difference in whether private sale is worth it.

I would not trade-in though if I was coming from a different brand. Dealerships can never offer as high of trade in values when they don't sell that brand, and the tax benefit on the new car is usually not enough to recover most of the delta.
The sales tax benefit applies only in some states. It doesn't work in CA, for example.

Based on my experience, whether the dealership sells the same brand or not has no bearing on the quote you get from them for your trade-in, but that's just my anecdotal experience.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some days I miss my 08 Z06 and the raw power and torque. Most days I'm glad it's gone and love my RS5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08' Porsche Turbo to RS5?