Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

08' Porsche Turbo to RS5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Don't know what to tell you. You seem to be hellbent in your denial about the RS5. One day you'll have to accept that Audi "S" models pretty much as of 2010 are optional engine trims. In the past they used to compete with M and AMG models, but not anymore. Quattro Gmbh is pumping out more than one RS model at the time now and the "S" models are simply the top engine trim of the Audi volume models. The S5 was Audi's answer to the 335 Coupe and now it is to the 435.

I don't know how many RS5 you have seen in person, especially a Panther Black one sparkling under the California Sun for example, but an RS5 commands quite a presence up close compared to a stock S5. I did European Delivery and it attracted as much attention in Europe as it did here.

Women are attracted to design and looks. In this particular case, this one wasn't drooling over the sports car aspect of the RS5. She was commenting on the beautiful design and that Audi knows how to design cars. No woman so far that complemented the car has ever commented on any of the performance aspects of the car. My wife drives a sunflower yellow VW Beetle. You know why? Because it looks cute. It drives like a dog.
if the RS5 looks don't get peoples attention, the exhaust note sure does. Suggesting the differences from the A5 to the S5 are greater than the S5 to the RS5 seems completely wrong to me. I thought the RS5 was virtually a different vehicle inside and out (except for perhaps the hood)? not to mention the motor is derived from the V10 found in the R8. How do the improvements from the A5 to the S5 exceed this? Perhaps the performance data does, but certainly not the design or equipment. I had the S4 (I know its not the 5) and got rid of it after 9 uninspiring months for the RS5 and haven't looked back (moving from the RS4 was part of the problem). enthusiats or not, the RS5 has been a head turner moreso then my 997 4S and much moreso than the S4.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visualguy
Why not include the A5? It looks almost identical to the other ones...

I don't get the impression that anyone notices my S5 or considers it to be anything special where I live (CA). I think the only Audi that people notice is the R8.
I've had 10 911's since the late 70's, currently an 06 997 C4S (highly optioned, aero, x51, full leather, etc MSRP $124k), prior to that a 996TT (and 8 more before that!). Also have owned B5 A4, B5 S4, B6 S4, finally a B7 RS4. looking to go into either 997TT, 991 or RS5. having had both genres, they cannot really be compared because they are so different.

RS5 will be waaaaay better daily driver, more practical, but never even close to the performance of a 911, particularly a TT. most of all the specific differences have been conveyed, it boils down to if you want a sports car or a very sporty, very nice, great sounding sports coupe.

hate to even mention it, but if you want to bridge the gap closer, the new F80/82 M3/4 might be considered. if you're like me however, it would not be an option as i'm pretty loyal to the audi/Porsche family.

if you can wait years, the next 5 series should be stunning, though no guarantee there will be an RS version which would follow towards end of life for that version. audi would server themselves well to release RS versions at the front of life cycle.