Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

'12 S5 Cabrio Top Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 S5 Cabrio Top Issues....

I recently bought a used 2012 S5 Convertible with 25k miles on it. About a month after buying it I noticed there were several "buckling" spots in the fabric where it connects to the bottom of the back window. I personally think the car isn't old enough for this to be happening but it is out of warranty so the dealership says it will cost me $7k to replace the top - OUCH! That on top of what I paid for the car is a bit much. No, I didn't buy the car from an Audi dealer so that isn't going to help. I live in TX and park in the sun all day. I recently bought a car cover but with the recent rain the car hasn't been washed for it's weekly wash yet so can't use the cover. Anyone else seen this or think it's a bit early for this issue? Suggestions for repair? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a known problem, typically as a result of storing the top down rather than up and it's worse if the top gets put down wet. Do some searches and you'll see it discussed many times, depending on how bad it is some people have had success with Audi either covering replacement or pitching in.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Motor Cars Made Mint
CarsMadeMint
214-575-7102

It's in North Dallas. Talk him to him first. He'll tell you which top to order and where to order it. He'll install it professionally for a fraction of what you would have paid the dealer. Did my 2002 TT Roadster and I couldn't be happier.

maTTQ
Old 08-26-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tagceo
It's a known problem, typically as a result of storing the top down rather than up and it's worse if the top gets put down wet. Do some searches and you'll see it discussed many times, depending on how bad it is some people have had success with Audi either covering replacement or pitching in.
We tried going to Audi and they weren't any help because the car was out of warranty. They told me to try to talk to the Service Manager at the dealership and see if they would work with me. Like that will happen.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by maTTQ
Motor Cars Made Mint
CarsMadeMint
214-575-7102

It's in North Dallas. Talk him to him first. He'll tell you which top to order and where to order it. He'll install it professionally for a fraction of what you would have paid the dealer. Did my 2002 TT Roadster and I couldn't be happier.

maTTQ
So funny you responded with Motorcars Made Mint! I just went by and talked to Jason yesterday! His distributor doesn't make an aftermarket top for the S5. I think I can order it from Audi and Jason said he would install it for a very reasonable rate. Very great guy and I am going to take any work I need for interior things to him.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So we were able to seal up the bottom of the window using Rhino Glue. My husband "fixed" it this weekend and it looks to have sealed up really nice. Fingers crossed it buys me some time to budget for a complete top replacement.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been in contact with Robbins Auto tops. 4 months ago they had told me they had a replacement top for the A5 being developed. It had a permanent window with lifetime window warrentee. I recently called them to see if the top was going to be shipped soon. They said that they stopped development on it for now. If they get phone calls and emails about it, I'm sure they will finish production.

Their price will be easily 1/3 of the dealer cost plus it will have the window issue fixed.

Their phone number is (805) 604-3200.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fishfryer
I have been in contact with Robbins Auto tops. 4 months ago they had told me they had a replacement top for the A5 being developed. It had a permanent window with lifetime window warrentee. I recently called them to see if the top was going to be shipped soon. They said that they stopped development on it for now. If they get phone calls and emails about it, I'm sure they will finish production.

Their price will be easily 1/3 of the dealer cost plus it will have the window issue fixed.

Their phone number is (805) 604-3200.
Thanks for the info! I had the guy I talked to about replacing the top call his aftermarket place, in CA I believe, and they said they didn't make replacement tops for the Audi. I've had 2 separate places tell me the same thing. Not sure what it takes to get them to start making them but the guy I talked to said it had to do with connecting the tops and the equipment needed to secure the top was hard for them to "copy" and that's why they don't make them aftermarket. Who knows at this point.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Overall though, it is shocking how poorly made and engineered Audi cars are. I've never owned a worse car in my life. They choose complexity for the sake of complexity and Audi of North America seems to have a goal of customer dissatisfaction. I'm at the point where I leave mine outside because it isn't worthy of garage space.