Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 S5 Throwout bearing issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S5 Throwout bearing issues

I am so disappointed. I have a 2010 S5 that I *love* which is manual transmission and 37K miles - I am the only owner. Couple weeks ago - took it out for a short run to the store and had trouble getting it started. 3 or 4 times and finally it turned over. (Made mental note to have battery checked... did not remember mental note). Fast forward to last night - 150 miles away from home, pull into gas station to get gas. Same issue - no start. I call Audi roadside asst and they come and jump it for me and it starts. So I take it into the dealer today thinking I have a battery/alternator issue.

Well imagine my surprise to hear that, no, the battery, alternator and electrical system are all working fine. It's something called a throwout bearing, possibly the clutch and maybe the entire flywheel! $5600 to fix it. I am flabbergasted. I've had MT cars all my life and never worn out a clutch before 80K miles.

So, I begin digging and here I am. I now understand this is a major issue. Here are my questions:

1. what is the best approach here, just bite the bullet and fix the entire assembly, including the fly wheel (saves maybe having to go in again later)?

2. Is there a TSB someone can point me to to help me with the Dealership? I am out of warranty technically, but come on, at 37K miles on a 5 year old car? I would like to see if I can get some help from them.

3. does anyone know a very good Indy shop in or around the Western suburbs of Chicago I could go for a quote? This seems like a major repair, but I am sure it could be done more cost effectively. But I feel like it's the equivalent of open heart surgery, so want someone really qualified.

4. since I am supposedly just seeing the beginning effects of this, any idea how may miles/how long until things get really ugly and I cannot shift gears?

I am beyond depressed. I love my car.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tammy