Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2011 S5 Cab: 4 year ownership report

Old 02-22-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
Nice ownership report, you answered a lot of my questions. I'm seriously looking at an s5 cab as my new daily, and I was wondering how the soft top is. Is it quiet and comfortable inside? I haven't been in any newer soft top convertibles and I've only owned sedans. I don't have a garage, would the soft top hold up to being kept outside? Sometimes I find myself near Wilmington, would it get sketchy in one of those big ocean thunderstorms? I don't mean to ask dumb questions, but convertibles are new to me.
I put a good breathe able waterproof cover on when outside. The sun will take its toll on the canvas top.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I now have an S5 Coupe, but from memory after owning 2 current generation S5 Cabs they were as quiet as the Coupe. The top is double-insulated. In some ways the Cab is also more versatile because you can put the top down if you want to put people in the back seat, then put it back up again. In the Coupe, it is a contortion act getting back there. You also lose very little luggage space due to the soft top. Best convertible in its class!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by saw1
I just had my '13 S5 cab in for its 25k service

when did you have to replace your brakes? They told me I need new front brakes and rotors but it seems a little early to me.
Just took my 2013 S5 Cab in for new brakes. 23,200 miles and the Replace Pads warning light was on. Before I even gave my mileage, my SA said they typically need replacing 20-30k miles. It seems reasonable that they would tell you you're about due at your 25k service.

BTW, rotors were worn down to .3mm away from being out of spec and there were grooves on the rotors from the previous set. Audi does not machine rotors, so I had them replace them as well. $900 for brakes & rotors every 20k miles seems excessive, but I knew when I bought it that the S5 isn't an economy car.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toramo1
Due to some poor planning combined with extra bad weather I ended up on I-81 today in Virginia in some of the worst driving conditions I've experienced since owning the S5.

The car and the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS's performed amazingly well. I drive conservatively in winter weather like this but still, I watched many SUVs fish tailing behind me. And I had no trouble starting uphill at lights and maintaining stability on unplowed roads at 30-35 MPH. Eventually it got bad enough to pull off and find a hotel. The snow was 4-6 inches once I got off the interstate and I had no problems (slowly) making my way through that. And I had to make my way around many stuck cars, vans and a truck or two to get to the hotel.

Audi Quattro and good tires were a lifesaver today.

All the same I do is plan to get a set of dedicated snows for my 2016 A6.
I second that, we had some pretty icy roads here in Atlanta on Tues and Wed. I was in the Audi Tues and had no issues at all with traction or slipping even with the summer tires. I took my jeep the next day as we got more snow and realized the Audi did just as well in light snow and ice.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by azdstar
Just took my 2013 S5 Cab in for new brakes. 23,200 miles and the Replace Pads warning light was on. Before I even gave my mileage, my SA said they typically need replacing 20-30k miles. It seems reasonable that they would tell you you're about due at your 25k service.

BTW, rotors were worn down to .3mm away from being out of spec and there were grooves on the rotors from the previous set. Audi does not machine rotors, so I had them replace them as well. $900 for brakes & rotors every 20k miles seems excessive, but I knew when I bought it that the S5 isn't an economy car.
dont replace the rotors so early.. You did really well to get two sets of front pads (no rear pad warning light IIRC) if I read your post right and still be .3mm thicker than the service replacement thickness. Anyway, if you're thicker than service, don't replace them…I've run 4.2A6 front and rear rotors for about 100K miles, at 130K I'm just waiting for warm weather to replace my front rotors!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
Nice ownership report, you answered a lot of my questions. I'm seriously looking at an s5 cab as my new daily, and I was wondering how the soft top is. Is it quiet and comfortable inside? I haven't been in any newer soft top convertibles and I've only owned sedans. I don't have a garage, would the soft top hold up to being kept outside? Sometimes I find myself near Wilmington, would it get sketchy in one of those big ocean thunderstorms? I don't mean to ask dumb questions, but convertibles are new to me.
The soft top is fantastic. This is a four season daily driver for me. And while it was garaged at home, because of my job it was frequently left outside - and driven- in heavy weather. it is a four season convertible with legitimate room for four.

You do get more cabin noise vs a non-convertible but it's minimal.

BTW I had my garage full last winter and couldn't park the S5 there during that snowmagedon. It got buried by snow over multiple times during that three weeks. The soft top looked fine afterwards. No damage or difference whatsoever.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I second that, we had some pretty icy roads here in Atlanta on Tues and Wed. I was in the Audi Tues and had no issues at all with traction or slipping even with the summer tires. I took my jeep the next day as we got more snow and realized the Audi did just as well in light snow and ice.
That's great to know, since we keep getting hit with ice and snow here in Dallas. Nothing like what you've gotten in Atlanta, but still...
Old 02-28-2015, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toramo1
I'm taking frequent trips now to visit my son in college, take my wife and daughter to track meets and drive to a couple new clients sites that are 3+ hours away - one way. If it were just me making the drive I would have stuck with an S5 for sure, but these trips all involve at least one passenger traveling with me the whole way, and picking up and driving around one or two additional passengers.
Considering the longer drives, did you consider/test drive the A6 TDI?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes. I drove a TDI and liked it a lot but for me, the math doesn't work out. I laid out my reasoning on the C7 A6 forum. It was a tough decision but the A6 3.0T 2016's official highway mileage rating of 30 mpg finally swayed me to that engine. But as I said on the other forum, you really can't go wrong getting the TDI.