Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2013 S5 "on center" steering slop

Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S5 "on center" steering slop

Hi guys, my wife wants to go back into Audis and we were recently doing some test drives. She came from a highly modified A4 B5 with 300k, yes 300k miles on it! That engine just would not die. Despite the mileage, it registered roughly 4% difference among cylinder compression...impressive! Everything else fell apart, but the engine was solid - even when APR tuned for most of its life.

So back to topic. We test drove a 2013 S5 and A5. Obviously, the S5 was faster. But A5 was surprising that it also felt pretty quick at start up. I'm sure the 258 ft-lbs of torque had something to do with it. But the S5 was much faster on the highway once you get going (hp rules here). What I did notice on the S5 was that the "on center" feel was a bit off. I.e. - there seemed to be a bit of play or slop at on center. This was a bit disconcerting and I think this is a deal killer. It felt like there was something wrong with the steering rack.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem? What's the fix? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Short answer, yes it's a known issue and the fix ranges from a software update to replacing the steering rack all with mixed results. For some the issues are fixed, others say there is no difference between comfort and dynamic modes anymore afterwards, and for others the issues return. To make matters more complicated, these cars have two possible steering systems. If you are looking at a Prestige trim with the driver assist package then the car has the optional Dynamic Steering, which after the software update seems to be fine, otherwise the car has the standard steering which seems to suffer the most from these issues. I haven't seen it discussed here a lot, but if you jump over to audizine and do a search, you'll find several long threads and they are still going.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Look at another car or get the dealer to fix it before you buy.

Originally Posted by theclutch
Hi guys, my wife wants to go back into Audis and we were recently doing some test drives. She came from a highly modified A4 B5 with 300k, yes 300k miles on it! That engine just would not die. Despite the mileage, it registered roughly 4% difference among cylinder compression...impressive! Everything else fell apart, but the engine was solid - even when APR tuned for most of its life.

So back to topic. We test drove a 2013 S5 and A5. Obviously, the S5 was faster. But A5 was surprising that it also felt pretty quick at start up. I'm sure the 258 ft-lbs of torque had something to do with it. But the S5 was much faster on the highway once you get going (hp rules here). What I did notice on the S5 was that the "on center" feel was a bit off. I.e. - there seemed to be a bit of play or slop at on center. This was a bit disconcerting and I think this is a deal killer. It felt like there was something wrong with the steering rack.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem? What's the fix? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
If it's not an audi dealer you're SOL. And if they won't fix it before you sign, just walk away. It shouldn't be on an audi lot with that problem.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If it's not an audi dealer you're SOL. And if they won't fix it before you sign, just walk away. It shouldn't be on an audi lot with that problem.

It's an Audi dealership and it's "certified". It supposedly had the software update and when the salesperson re-drove it, the problem wasn't there. I read the thread on Audizine (THANKS!) and it appears that a "cross brace" on the bottom of the car fixes or helps the problem tremendously. Regardless, it does feel sloppy with the steering oncenter. It doesn't help that I'm driving a 911 to/from there also. So there's really no comparison there. I'm going to go back in for another test drive.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, the Achilles heel of this platform is the relatively weak subframe brace. It allows for too much flex and results in incorrect steering input and unwanted suspension deflection. The Alu Kreuz is a solid one piece replacement that really makes a big difference. Following is what it does:

- Better steering response- both at the limit and in normal day-to-day driving
- Improved steering accuracy- more “point and shoot” versus a vague steering feel
- Less “play” or sloppiness- better composure on uneven pavement with less shimmying
- Less torsional flex from the chassis (some even report less creaking in the interior)
- Vastly improved driving dynamics along with increased refinement

Eurocode Alu Kreuz Billet Aluminum Drivetrain Stabilizer 2013 and up B8.5 A4/A5/S4/S5/Q5/RS5