Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

6MT owners, clutch pedal squeaks and travel isn't smooth when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6MT owners, clutch pedal issue squeaks and travel isn't smooth when warm

Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Clutch is quiet and works well first thing in the morning, but once car is warm (2 miles of use), the clutch pedal makes a squeaking noise when brought up slowly (whether in gear or not).

Also, when in gear and trying to let out the clutch slowly, it isn't smooth and feels like it is kind of getting stuck midway before full release (best I can describe it).

I searched, and have read post on earlier S5 models having some clutch issues, wondering if this is the same or something new on the 2010 models.

I plan to bring it into the dealer to have them check it out, but wanted to get a feel from other owners.

only 3200 miles....

Last edited by sparkster; 06-22-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same issue on my S5 and it started at 800 miles. I have read numerous posts on the topic on A5OC.com and have worked closely with my local dealer. I expressed to them that I was unwilling to have my car undergo exploratory surgery replacing part after part with no resolution as other members have encountered.
Clutch pedals, clutch lines, clutch assemblies, clutch master cylinders, brake cylinders, slave cylinders, are all parts that others have had replaced, most without resolution. Just today I had an appt. with an Audi engineer that has what I've been told is the true fix for the problem. While working with Audi tech he explained to me that there is a TSB in Germany that has yet to be released in the US that will replace some parts within the confines of the transmission/Clutch that have been redesigned as a result of this problem. He says the geometry on these parts have been changed and were put into production later than week 3 production in 2010. My car was produced during this third week. The parts were ordered today and should be installed in two weeks or so. I have been assured that this will fix this problem that Audi Tech is very much aware of. My advice to you is to express the same desires to your dealer as I did so that they take the same steps to prevent unnecessary repairs on your new car.

I will report back after the repairs are made and let everyone know that it truly was successful. I'm not looking forward to have my 30 day old car have it's transmission dropped, but I have no choice at this point. My fingers are crossed for now that this will be successful.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

is there is a TSB we will find it.. I don't have any problems with mine.. is as smooth as it could get.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty common sadly. For those not familiar with the issue, check this video out posted by a member over at A5_OC.
I have it too, dealer was planning to replace Clutch Master Cylinder.
Problem is this video was shot after Master Cylinder replacement,
hopefully Audi has now found the root cause.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...327/index.html

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 04-22-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

we have the exact same issue. i informed the service advisor at the 5000mi maintence but he claimed it was "normal". the car has 9000mi now and will bring it up again at the 15000mi service. hopefully, the TSB will be released to the US by then.

donaldp, please keep us updated.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clutch Master Cylinder Replaced - No Joy

Dealer replaced Clutch Master Cylinder.
As soon as things warmed up symptoms were essentially back.
Hope Audi releases a TSB soon!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

28998miles here and never had a problem. Must be with new models, mine is a 2008 A5 3.2
Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donaldp
I have the same issue on my S5 and it started at 800 miles. I have read numerous posts on the topic on A5OC.com and have worked closely with my local dealer. I expressed to them that I was unwilling to have my car undergo exploratory surgery replacing part after part with no resolution as other members have encountered.
Clutch pedals, clutch lines, clutch assemblies, clutch master cylinders, brake cylinders, slave cylinders, are all parts that others have had replaced, most without resolution. Just today I had an appt. with an Audi engineer that has what I've been told is the true fix for the problem. While working with Audi tech he explained to me that there is a TSB in Germany that has yet to be released in the US that will replace some parts within the confines of the transmission/Clutch that have been redesigned as a result of this problem. He says the geometry on these parts have been changed and were put into production later than week 3 production in 2010. My car was produced during this third week. The parts were ordered today and should be installed in two weeks or so. I have been assured that this will fix this problem that Audi Tech is very much aware of. My advice to you is to express the same desires to your dealer as I did so that they take the same steps to prevent unnecessary repairs on your new car.

I will report back after the repairs are made and let everyone know that it truly was successful. I'm not looking forward to have my 30 day old car have it's transmission dropped, but I have no choice at this point. My fingers are crossed for now that this will be successful.

Please keep us informed on this, I will see what my dealer has to say tomorrow when I bring this in.

It is getting annoying (mostly in first gear coming out of a stop, other gears are bearable).. but this shouldn't be the NORM, especially for a pricey luxury vehicle.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sparkster
Please keep us informed on this, I will see what my dealer has to say tomorrow when I bring this in.

It is getting annoying (mostly in first gear coming out of a stop, other gears are bearable).. but this shouldn't be the NORM, especially for a pricey luxury vehicle.

Thanks!
You're right, it makes starting off smoothly in first gear nearly impossible. No one thinks this is normal, including Audi.

I will update everyone as soon as my repairs are done. Parts are expected later this week but my understanding with Audi is that parts often take longer than expected.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donaldp
While working with Audi tech he explained to me that there is a TSB in Germany that has yet to be released in the US that will replace some parts within the confines of the transmission/Clutch that have been redesigned as a result of this problem. He says the geometry on these parts have been changed and were put into production later than week 3 production in 2010. My car was produced during this third week. The parts were ordered today and should be installed in two weeks or so.
This is interesting. My car was completed 3/29/2010 according to my dealer. Should I expect these problems, or should I expect there not to be an issue at this point?

Quick Reply: 6MT owners, clutch pedal squeaks and travel isn't smooth when warm