Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

95 Cabriolet Air Conditioning Clutch Removal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Cabriolet Air Conditioning Clutch Removal.

Have some excessive engine noise in my Cabriolet. Suspected the alternator or AC clutch bearing. Removed the serpentine belt and started the engine and the noise is gone. In an attempt to correct the problem the previous owner had the new bearing put in the alternator and belt tensioner but the problem still existed. With the belt off, spun the alternator pulley and there was some noise but the AC clutch also made some noise when spinning it. The tensioner seemed ok. Took the alternator back to the gentlemen who previously worked on it and he redid the bearings. But the noise is still there. So That leaves the AC clutch bearing. From what I have read, looking a some diagrams, and videos, it looks like it has a nut and spring clip that holds it on? Then would have to get the new bearing pressed in and out. Would be great if someone can confirm this info? Or have any good tips for holding the pulley stationary while loosening the bolt and it just spins. I have a CD factory repair manual coming. But don't have it yet. Wasn't really familiar with the clutch removal procedure. Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default special tools for removing/installing clutch.

Originally Posted by stormchaser1967
Have some excessive engine noise in my Cabriolet. Suspected the alternator or AC clutch bearing. Removed the serpentine belt and started the engine and the noise is gone. In an attempt to correct the problem the previous owner had the new bearing put in the alternator and belt tensioner but the problem still existed. With the belt off, spun the alternator pulley and there was some noise but the AC clutch also made some noise when spinning it. The tensioner seemed ok. Took the alternator back to the gentlemen who previously worked on it and he redid the bearings. But the noise is still there. So That leaves the AC clutch bearing. From what I have read, looking a some diagrams, and videos, it looks like it has a nut and spring clip that holds it on? Then would have to get the new bearing pressed in and out. Would be great if someone can confirm this info? Or have any good tips for holding the pulley stationary while loosening the bolt and it just spins. I have a CD factory repair manual coming. But don't have it yet. Wasn't really familiar with the clutch removal procedure. Thanks
Maybe you can borrow the special tools from AutoZone or AdvanceAuto or
rent them from FCP EURO or something.

But you do need the special tools.