Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 with 19" Y wheels Chromed..anyone seen this?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to be against putting chrome wheels on any Audi. Audi has a strong and proud racing heritage and chrome detracts from the sportiness of a car IMHO (especially a coupe!). Not only does it make cars look heavy, but it also goes against the whole understated elegance thing that Audi is known for. The A5 S-line Y-spokes are among my favorite wheels that have ever been made (which is why I had to get them for my A4 ), and I think the curvature of the design would get lost in a sea of bling if they were chromed.

I think it would be better (and more cost-effective) to sway your wife's opinion regarding chrome. A conservative drop and spacers would have a more enhancing effect IMHO.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrome rims make baby Jesus cry.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

While I agree with the disapproval of chrome wheels generally, I've always thought that it was strange that it looks bad. Why is it that chrome everywhere else on the car (grill, windows, rings, etc.) looks OK but not with the wheels?

I can see why a person who is not a "car" person might want to get chrome given its presence over the rest of the car.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow chrome on audi looks awful.. it defeats the elegance and style of audi vehicles.. Audi deliberately uses chrome only to highlight lines and not as a major element on a vehicle. Chrome wheels cheapen the car IMHO.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never did liked the *blink* & *gangsta* cultural references that too much chrome and too dark of a tint implies.

But to each his/her own.

I think subtle use of chrome goes a long way for high lighting, but chroming the whole wheel is just too much.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Chrome Rims

Originally Posted by shawn5
Dude, this is the ugliest A5 that I've ever seen! and hope never see one in our area with chrom rims.
Dude, I like the chrome on your car personally. I think that it looks nice against the black. I have an A5 with those same rims however mine is grey in color. You don't needs anyone opinion on how your car looks. Its your car and you can customize it to your liking. The last time I checked, myself included neither one of these folks pays your car payment or was at the dealership or whatever when you made the purchase. It kills me how folks makes reference to chrome and gangster. Its a bad analogy its shows ignorance moreso than anything else. When I go out I see folks from stars to regular folks that have chrome rims on their vehicles. Everyone you see with chrome isn't a gangster. You have businessmen that have factory chrome on any car from a Cadillac to Lexus. So , are they ghetto also? In some situations cars come from the factory w/ chrome. Be your own man is my advice. Everyone has their own taste. If everyone had the same taste no one would be different.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dustoff
Everyone has their own taste.
Yes; most of it just isn't very good.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Old post but thought I would chime in. I love the look of Chrome rims. And his car looks great with them. Would I put them on my own? No. Reason:
1. They add 2lbs + unsprung weight to the suspension.
2. Corrosion occurs frequently at the tire bead area resulting in air pressure loss in the tire.

A similar look can be obtained by polishing the rims.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

My mama always said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

5% tint looks great but is a pain at night and mine reflects the side vent too much making it hard to see what's in the mirror. I am probably going to change mine to 20% just for that reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A5 with 19" Y wheels Chromed..anyone seen this?