Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

a5 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a5 vibration

I have been working for a year to solve a vibration issue with a 2008 a5. After two sets of Pirellis and multiple alignments and balancings and over 18K miles on the car, Audi finally installed new control arms with bigger bushings claiming to dampen the vibration and fix the problem. Now trying to negotiate compensation for a years worth of trouble and multiple trips to dealers. If anyone else has gone through this pain with an otherwise great car and succesfully negotiated a settlement please advise.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you saying this fixed the vibration problem?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

it has dampened out the vibration in the steering wheel felt at about 68mph but you can still feel some vibration in the passenger seat. It is much better than before. why have you experienced the same problem?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes - here's what I wrote a while ago about this issue:

"I drove mine from the dealer in St. Louis straight home to Kansas City (230 miles) and noticed this mild all-over vibration; particularly in the 65mph+ range. Tires/car cold/hot - doesn't matter, ever-present; sometimes in the steering wheel, but mostly in the seat of my pants. One poster described it as almost "trucklike" and I agree. Again, mild but shouldn't be there. My '07 TL-S Type was slick as snot at any speed. Dull, but smooth!

With only about 700 miles on the car now, I will wait a bit longer to see if it's just in my head, part of the car settling, or a legit prob. Then, time to press dealer."

Now, with 3000 miles, the problem is still there. Not terrible, but damn annoying for a $60K car.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Legally they don't owe you anything. If you do reach a settlement, it's only out of the goodness of their hearts. Their only responsibility was to fix the problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mjbsk8
it has dampened out the vibration in the steering wheel felt at about 68mph but you can still feel some vibration in the passenger seat. It is much better than before. why have you experienced the same problem?
One more question: Can you still feel it in the seat of your pants?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try smaller, lighter wheels. I ditch my 45 pound stock 18" rims and bought 20 pound BBS 17" wheels. The tires are 245, 45, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport. The car drives much, much better in every way. Quicker, has better steering feedback, turns-in great and does not skip over bump corners. No shimmy either. Just perfect!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Douglas751
Try smaller, lighter wheels. I ditch my 45 pound stock 18" rims and bought 20 pound BBS 17" wheels. The tires are 245, 45, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport. The car drives much, much better in every way. Quicker, has better steering feedback, turns-in great and does not skip over bump corners. No shimmy either. Just perfect!
Perhaps, but that's not the point. You buy the car with certain wheels and tires, and expect that it won't shimmy and vibrate without having to change the wheels and tires.

mjbsk8 : Mind posting your work order or parts of it just to show us the work that was performed and the parts installed? That will give us much more leverage to work with the dealership in getting this fixed PROMPTLY.

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

i had same problem i was actually the first one to have new parts put on an A5 in USA. many on here kept saying you need balancing or a new wheel. they did not understand the A5/S5 have a defect that has been changed on all new production as last fall. once control arm and bushings were installed on my car it is perfect. Audi paid 3 of my first 6 months payments. My car was fixed in month 6.

good luck
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjbsk8
I have been working for a year to solve a vibration issue with a 2008 a5. After two sets of Pirellis and multiple alignments and balancings and over 18K miles on the car, Audi finally installed new control arms with bigger bushings claiming to dampen the vibration and fix the problem. Now trying to negotiate compensation for a years worth of trouble and multiple trips to dealers. If anyone else has gone through this pain with an otherwise great car and succesfully negotiated a settlement please advise.
Would you please post the part #s for the new control arm and bigger bushings so I can have my local Audi dealer order them for me?

Thank you!

Quick Reply: a5 vibration